Execute a string as LUA code.
- String - The code which is to be executed.
- To define a function dynamically you could do:
local retExpr = '"Hello " .. UnitName("target")'; RunScript("function My_GetGreeting() return " .. retExpr .. ";end");
- The My_GetGreeting() function will be defined to return Hello followed by the name of your target.
- This function is NOT recommended for general use within addons for a number of reasons:
- 1. It'll do whatever you tell it, that includes calling functions, setting variables, whatever.
- 2. It does things globally, so to get data out of it you have to pollute at least one global variable. This isn't a big deal but it's mildly annoying.
- 3. Errors in the script string produce the error popup (at least, they produce the UI_ERROR_MESSAGE event).
- On the other hand, it's invaluable if you need to run arbitrary code, or do self-generating code.
- The standard Lua function API loadstring, which can overcome all of the problems of RunScript described above.