This is the main WoW API 'value type' reference. The World of Warcraft API uses rather complex values using Lua native types for some of its parameters and return values. Rather than re-explain them every time they're used. This reference provides list of 'distinct' Lua based data types used in WoW.
See Category:API types for possibly a more complete list. If something missing here, please list it!
Simple Types Edit
- nil - the Lua 'nil' type. a type, or variable state, which has no value
- boolean - a Lua 'boolean', which holds Lua 'false' or 'true' values
- Boolean - an old WoW API 'boolean', which holds number '1' or 'nil' values.
- number - a regular Lua number, which for WoW is a 'double' size floating point number
- string - a regular Lua string, which is always 1 byte per char. in WoW, non-ASCII chars are encoded utf-8.
- function - a regular Lua function, which any variable can reference.
- table - a regular Lua table, which any variable can reference.
Complex Types Edit
- actionSlot - Action button slot numbers, 120 in total.
- auctionSortId - An identifier for sorting columns in the auction house.
- auctionTypeId - An identifier specifying which type of auction to operate on.
- bagId - Numbers representing bags you carry, bank bags, bank window, etc
- bagType - A bittype identifier for the type of bags an item can go into or the type of items a bag can carry (added 2.4.0)
- chatTypeId - An identifier for the different chat destination types.
- emoteToken - System names of voice/action emotes
- enchantString - An enchant id.
- enchantLink - A string that will be clickable, if shown in-game, contains an enchantString.
- inventorySlotName - Names of inventory slots.
- inventorySlotId - Current mappings of slot names to numbers. May change.
- itemEquipLoc - String representation of where an item may be equipped ["INVTYPE_HEAD", ...]
- itemString - An item id with data about enchants, "of" type bonuses, and the item's creator.
- itemLink - A string that will be clickable if shown in-game, contains an itemString.
- itemType - String classification of an item, ["Armor", "Consumable", ...]
- lootMethod - An identifier for the different looting methods (group loot, need before greed, etc)
- lfgCategoryType - a type for choosing LFG type (added 5.0.4)
- partyCategoryType - a type for choosing group instance type (added 5.0.4)
- playerName - The name of a player.
- questLink - A string that will be clickable, if shown in-game, contains a questString.
- questString - A quest id with data about the quest, including the level and quest title.
- raidIndex - A number between 1 and 40
- standingId - Numeric encoding of faction standing.
- unitId - An identifier which specifies one of the units the API may reference ["target", "party1", ...]
- unitFlag - A bittype indentifier for the relationship between the player and a unit in the combat log (added 2.4.0)