|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 3.0.2.
Archmage Tarsis Kir
|Character class||Archmage, Mage|
Tarsis Kir-Moldir is a highborne who was trapped inside the Scourge citadel of Naxxramas while it was still floating above the Eastern Plaguelands. He was wounded during his search for the forty Splinters of Atiesh, stolen from him by the lich Kel'Thuzad.
Tarsis was one of the few surviving Highborne characters found in World of Warcraft. This meant he was at least 10,000 years old, dating back to the era before the Great Sundering, as he mentions remembering Queen Azshara.
- See also: Naxxramas (original) NPCs
This is the full conversation players can have with Tarsis.
- <Tarsis groans.>
- There may still be time... Listen closely, mortal.
- Through time and across the Nether I have searched. Deals made with a host of evil and villainy so wretched...
- <Tarsis coughs blood into his hands.>
- Would you... would you believe that even Elune has turned her back on me, <race>? To die here, in this manner now...
- The things I have done... such horrible things...
- <Tarsis begins to sob.>
- I am Highborne, <race>. It has no meaning now. There was a time, though, when this world was ruled by Highborne. Ten thousand years past...
- I would have it back, mortal. Atiesh... From it I would create the Highborne anew. I would have it all back. Even the Queen...
- <Tarsis grabs you weakly by the collar. Even in death you see power unimaginable in his eyes.>
- Am I? Then listen closely, for more nonsense is about to escape my lips. Within this citadel you will find my life's work: The exact location of every fragment of the splintered staff.
- . The staff handed down through the ages of each of the Guardians of Tirisfal. The staff corrupted by Sargeras. The staff of the last Guardian. The staff of Medivh.
- <Tarsis's eyes light up.>
- I held it once... I held it despite the warnings of the Kirin Tor. I held it, mortal... Power unending. Power to do what I desired, as I desired. And just as quickly, it was taken from me. But I had tasted... And that taste was all that it took.
- It was lost when the Violet Citadel fell... splintered in to forty-two pieces.
- Kel'Thuzad has put forth considerable effort in attempting to reform the staff. The pieces were once scattered across this world, from Kalimdor to the South Seas. I myself held twenty of the pieces at one point in time - until they were stolen from me by Kel'Thuzad's minions. It is why I am here.
- Haven't you been listening? No, I very much doubt we would be having this conversation had Kel'Thuzad formed the staff. Kel'Thuzad holds the head. His underlings hold forty splinters. The last piece - the base - was uncovered by Brann Bronzebeard. He was last seen in the Silithus desert; undoubtedly doing his best to stay as far away as possible from the relentless seekers Kel'Thuzad has dispatched into the world.
- Tarsis is the name of a town in the Dragonlance fantasy universe, while most of Kir-Moldir's speech is lifted almost directly from a Dragonlance character, Raistlin Majere.