- Jump to info about the most recent beta.
In order to get useful and realistic feedback from real users, some software companies deliver pre-release software (a beta or beta trial) to a select number of users to try it out and report bugs, make suggestions, or just give significant customers clear evidence of the state of the product and dispel rumors of vaporware.
What is a beta? Edit
In terms of the software development, beta is usually the stage where all major feature implementation should be finished and the software is in the phase of bug fixing, refinement and stabilization before declaring a Final or Release candidate (sometimes called "Gold" as well). Sometimes major changes occur in this stage, but usually only in response to feedback during a beta trial.
Beta, of course, comes after the Alpha stage where major feature implementation usually occurs, is known to be unstable, and not generally fit for anything more than internal trial of carefully selected users. The stage before Alpha some call "Pre-Alpha", "Proof of Concept", or "Prototype".
These stages are semi-formal within the software industry, so "your results may vary".
What Blizzard says about betas Edit
Closed vs. Open beta Edit
The terms "closed beta" and "open beta" are also used when referring to the actual beta trial period of testing. The usage of these terms is not consistent, but the following definitions can be used as a guideline:
- Closed beta - Only a selected group of users are invited to the beta trial with varying criteria. Some closed betas are very restrictive and others are tied to a promotion or some other easily obtainable criteria (like purchasing the Annual Pass). Invitation, of course, is not guaranteed.
- Open beta - This is basically a trial which is usually only restricted by the need to download the software and go through some sort of registration process. Users may be required to meet some minimum hardware and software requirements, but usually nothing needs to be paid for or membership in a special group needed.
Reporting bugs Edit
- Top bugs worth reporting
- Game crashes
- Holes in the terrain
- Quest bugs
- UI bugs
- Camera errors
- Other bugs
- Class spells or abilities is behaving erratically
- Grammatical errors in quests
- NPC is speaking gibberish or behaving oddly
- Bugs not worth reporting
Not in the WoW Insider article.
- Bugs already listed as "known issues"
- Stuff with names like "something needs a name" or "TBD", etc.
- Login problems during announced or known server maintenance periods (usually announced on official forums, launcher news, Twitter, etc.).
- Problems widely reported in official status forums and Warcraft news sites (unless it is reported as hard to repro and you have a consistent way to repro the problem).
Battle.net desktop app Edit
- Main article: Battle.net desktop app
Warlords of Draenor EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor. This section concerns content that is not yet released.
Cards for closed Beta invites were given out at the PAX East conference in April 2014.
Warlords of Draenor Beta servers Edit
As of Late July 2014:
- Lost Isles (PvE) was renamed to Beta Leveling Realm 01
- Gilneas (PvP) was renamed to Beta Leveling Realm 02
- Mekkatorque (PvP) was renamed to Level 100 PvP
- Level 100 PvE was added in late July 2014
The original Beta servers were split into the following, but the Korean server stopped appearing (for US/EU only?) soon after the start of Beta:
- Lost Isles (US) - PvE
- Gilneas (US) - PvP
- Mekkatorque (EU) - PvP (supposedly not really an EU realm)
- Hamuul (KR) - PvE
Warlords of Draenor Beta invite waves Edit
- The first wave of invites went out on June 27, 2014 to coincide with the Beta start announcement. No number was given for how many.
- PAX invite cards
- These keys were enabled in the afternoon of June 27, 2014.
Mists of Pandaria EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
A closed beta test period was announced on March 20, 2012 with invites going to Annual Pass holders, press, fansites, friends and family, and opt-in beta testers. MMO Champion may have gotten access soon after the opt-in announcement and an official announcement of the start of the Beta was released late March 21st, 2012.
A 64-bit client for Windows (WoW-64.exe) was quietly downloaded with build 15640 of the Beta that was noticed by some users and clarified by an MVP. The key difference between this test release and previous Live and PTR releases was that it was installed with Lancher and did not have to be installed manually. MVP Bluspacecow predicted correctly that a 64-bit Mac OS X client (World of Warcraft-64.app) would be available with build 15657.
Experience required for leveling changed Edit
|Level||Old XP Requirement||New XP Requirement|
|10-39?||70,200||56,160 (70,200 -20%)|
|85-86||10 million||15.5 million (+55%)|
|86-87||11.6 million||18 million (+55%)|
|87-88||14.6 million||22.6 million (+55%)|
|88-89||17.6 million||27.3 million (+55%)|
|89-90||21.2 million||32.8 million (+55%)|
AddOns in Mists of Pandaria Beta Edit
Mists of Pandaria Beta servers Edit
Logging in if PTR on account already Edit
The Mists of Pandaria beta servers use the same authentication portal as the PTR servers so you may be given the unexpected choice to login as either "wow1" or "wow2" accounts. If you see this choice, select "wow2" assuming you setup your PTR account first.
Mists of Pandaria Beta invite waves Edit
- Annual Pass
Here are the six waves and the number of accounts added in each wave:
- First wave of 100,000 on March 29th, 2012.
- Second wave of 100,000 on March 30th, 2012.
- Third wave of 100,000 later on March 30th, 2012.
- Fourth wave of 250,000 on April 4th, 2012.
- Fifth wave of 250,000 on April 11th, 2012.
- Sixth and mostly final wave of 400,000 on April 19th, 2012.
- Post Annual Pass
Cataclysm EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Wrath of the Lich King EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Opt-ins for the public beta began on July 3rd, 2008; the beta began on July 17th.
Beta keys were given out to BlizzCon 2007 and Blizzard Worldwide Invitational 2008 attendees and Blizzard also gives out Beta keys to various organizations (fansites, etc.) for promotional reasons.
The Burning Crusade EditThis section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
Starting late September of 2006, Blizzard started signing up Closed Beta Test testers for the first expansion, World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, from different playing areas. The plan was to introduce additional players to the beta test in subsequent waves, thus people that didn't make it in the starting lineup still had a chance at a Burning Crusade beta spot prior to launch.
The Closed Beta started in early October 2006. They were split into two servers:
- Hellfire (PvE)
- Blade's Edge (PvP)
World of Warcraft EditThis section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
Starting before March of 2004, Blizzard started signing up Closed Beta Test testers from an unknown pool of people using an undisclosed method of selection. The Closed Beta Trial ran for about 7 months ending in more widely available stress test and then an open beta before final release around the end of November 2004.
The "Closed Beta" was the first phase of Blizzard's stress test. There were three servers and virtually no lag existed. This closed beta is also known as the "First Stress Test". The servers were split up into the following:
- PvE Server (Original Closed Beta Server)
- PvP Server (Added near the end of Closed Beta)
- Beta Server 1
- ^ Anne Stickney 2012-04-09. Beta Testing 101: 5 things you should always report. WoW Insider.
- ^ Sapperwix. Beta Known Issues - Updated date. Official Mists of Pandaria Beta > Beta Bug Report forum (US). Retrieved on 2012-04-09.
- ^ Error on call to Template:ref web: Parameters url and title must be specified. Official Warlords of Draenor Beta (2014-07-24).
- ^ a b @Warcraft 2014-06-27. The #Warlords of Draenor beta is now live! First wave of invites delivered: http://bit.ly/1pzx6GG pic.twitter.com/dHJMYgCcrc. Twitter.com.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2012-03-21. Mists of Pandaria™ Beta Opt-in and FAQ. Official World of Warcraft Community site (US).
Blizzard Entertainment 2012-03-21. Mists of Pandaria™ Beta Opt-in and FAQ. Official World of Warcraft Community site (EU).
- ^ Boubouille. Mists of Pandaria Beta - Smells like Panda Spirit. MMO Champion.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2012-03-22. World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Beta is Live!. Official World of Warcraft Community site (US).
Blizzard Entertainment 2012-03-22. World of Warcraft®: Mists of Pandaria™ Beta Live!. Official World of Warcraft Community site (EU).
- ^ chaud 2012-03-08. Stormstout Brewery Preview, Valley of the Four Winds Preview, New Quest Icons. MMO Champion.
- ^ Beta 64-bit Client. Official Mists of Pandaria Beta > Beta Technical Support forum (US). Retrieved on 2012-04-27.
- ^ MVP Bluspacecow 2012-05-01. #1 - 64 bit OS X Client for MoP Beta coming ..... Official forum (US).
- ^ chaud 2012-08-11. Experience to Level Changed, Character Creation Gear, Blue Posts, Weekly Roundup. MMO Champion.
- ^ a b c Experience to level by level
- ^ Nethaera 2012-03-22. #11 - How do you use addons?. Official Mists of Pandaria Beta > Beta Feedback forum (US).
Addons are currently disabled in the beta. It's important that we do this so that we can tell the difference between a client error and an addon error. We'll notify everyone when we're at the point that we enable them again.
- ^ Vaeflare 2012-06-27. UI Addons Enabled in the Next Beta Build. Official Mists of Pandaria Beta > Beta Feedback forum (US).
Starting with the next Mists of Pandaria beta build, we plan to enable the use of UI addons.
- ^ Bashiok 2012-03-29. 100,000 Annual Pass Invites On Their Way. Official Community > General Discussion forum (US).
- ^ Bashiok 2012-03-30. 100,000 More Beta-Test Invites. Official Community > General Discussion forum (US).
- ^ Bashiok 2012-03-30. Even More (Another 100,000) Beta Invites. Official Community > General Discussion forum (US).
- ^ Bashiok 2012-04-04. Incoming: 250,000 More Beta Invites. Official Community > General Discussion forum (US).
- ^ Kaivax 2012-04-11. Another 250,000 Beta Invites Are Heading Out. Official Community > General Discussion forum (US).
- ^ Bashiok 2012-04-19. 400,000 Annual Pass Invites Sent. Official Community > General Discussion forum (US).
- ^ Anne Stickney 2012-05-24. More Mists of Pandaria beta passes may be on the way. WoW Insider.
- ^ BlizzCon 2007 goodie bag page: BlizzCon - Goodies And Swag. Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 2009-02-13.
- ^ WWI '08 goodie bag page (XML won't display): Goody Bag. Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 2010-07-26.
- ^ bad link Official Wrath of the Lich King Beta FAQ
- ^ Tudor Stefanescu 2006-09-27. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Beta Signups Underway. Retrieved on 2011-07-19.
See also Edit
- Beta info