How to categorize redirects Edit
The only way redirects work in redirects if if they appear in the first line, immediately following the article name to redirect to. (Some whitespace is allowed, but anything below the initial line is automatically deleted. It still works if the category link is on the very same line.
These mostly aren't acronyms? Edit
The vast majority of these aren't acronyms, they're abbreviations. Acronyms are abbreviations which create pronouncable words. "LASER" is an acronym, "DND" is not. The terminology is consistently wrong in all the sub pages. --User:Cze
- According to Acronym in wikipedia.org, you are wrong (DNA, as a case in point). According to Acronym in Dictionary.com, you are also wrong (there is no mention of it having to be a pronounceable word). So, unless you have a good and reliable source for what seems to be your opinion, I can't give it much credence.
- --Fandyllic 4:03 PM PST 2 November 2005
- There is a fair amount of evidence to suggest that Cze is correct in this point. You referenced Wikipedia in your response, but a careful look at the Wikipedia article does in fact discuss the difference between Acronyms and Abbreviations.
- "Initialism originally described abbreviations formed from initials, without reference to pronunciation; but, during the mid 20th century, when such abbreviations saw more use than ever before, the word acronym was coined for abbreviations pronounced as words, such as NATO and AIDS."
- Other places places that discuss this difference include the following:
-     
- It's true that there is a some disagreement concerning the difference between an Acronym and an Abbreviation, but I think the original poster is right in saying that most of these are not actually acronyms.
- --Raukodacil 16:23, 2 May 2007 (EDT)
BCRR, and possibly others Edit
Maybe I simply misinterpreted the reason for this category. I would think that it's for only acronyms that are frequently found in people's chat and in the forums. BCRR is redirected to Burning Crusade Rumored Races, which in turn should be removed anyways, as it is irrelevant. But that's beside the point. BCRR would never be found in chat or on the forums. Now I don't argue that that redirect should be removed altogether (except on the point that it is now irrelevant), but it should not be listed here. Does anyone else interpret this category's usefulness another way? Schmidt 08:52, 5 June 2006 (EDT)
I noticed theres no page for the acronym QFT, can someone help me out here? user Blkmasta, 18:11 GMT 28/3/2007
Missing acronym: MB Edit
MB means "Mana Back". Like OOM ("Out Of Mana") players say this to tell their party that they need to pause to regain mana. Said mana is usualy regained via the use of items such as potions, food or drink.
Could you guys please add the acronym MB with my description to the list?
Jermizzle 13:32, 7 November 2007 (UTC)
MB is also a classic ROM MUD abbreviation for "Mystical Being" - referring to an immortal, or game administrator.