Cold Snap is a mage talent available at level 60. It resets the cooldowns of select spells. It is an instant-cast ability that requires no mana. In PvP, Cold Snap is most commonly used as an emergency or defensive spell, allowing immediate use of Ice Block and Frost Nova.
- Cold Snap does not get locked out by counterspell interrupts when the Frost school is interrupted.
- Cold Snap will reset the cooldowns as long as the mage is not also silenced. This can be useful in emergencies, where the frost school is locked and the mage needs to Ice Block or use another frost escape.
- Patch 6.0.2 (14-October-2014): Cold Snap now also resets the cooldown of Presence of Mind, Dragon's Breath, and Evanesce.
- Patch 5.0.4 (28 August 2012): Updated.
- Patch 2.3.2 (2008-01-08): Cooldown has been reduced to 8 minutes. With the talent Ice Floes 2/2 it is reduced to 6.4 minute cooldown. Talent also no longer resets the cooldown of Fire Ward.
- / Patch 2.0.1 (05-Dec-2006): The tooltip has been adjusted to indicate it only resets cooldowns caused by Frost spells. e.g.: Cold Snap will not reset the cooldown caused by Dragon's Breath (which has a shared cooldown with Cone of Cold).
- Patch 1.11.0 (20-Jun-2006): This talent will now always clear the cooldown for Frost Ward, even if the cooldown was triggered by casting Fire Ward.