Azeroth's geography Edit
At the time of the War of the Ancients, 10,000 years ago, Azeroth had one singular continent called Kalimdor. The Sundering broke apart this landmass into various continents and islands. Currently, the ancient landmass known as Kalimdor would be called a supercontinent since all the land was once a part of it.
The number of continents has grown and shrunk as time has gone by. This is due to the discovery of new lands, the importance of those lands, and maybe politics. As of Cataclysm, currently on Azeroth, there are three large continents in the game: the Eastern Kingdoms (formed of three subcontinents) in the east, Kalimdor (formed of three subcontinents) in the west, and Northrend in the north. These continents are bordered by the Great Sea which seem to occupy the whole of the planet. As of the Mists of Pandaria expansion, the continent of Pandaria was revealed as part of Azeroth presumably to the south of the Maelstrom.
Azeroth's continents Edit
- Eastern Kingdoms
Azeroth's "subcontinents" Edit
- Quel'Thalas (part of Lordaeron)
- Teldrassil (described as an island, a mid-sized island, an island continent or a giant tree)
Other important landmasses Edit
The Undermine Edit
The Undermine might be added as a new continent later on. According to lore, the Undermine is under the island of Kezan.
Miscellaneous landmasses Edit
- The Maelstrom (remnants of ancient, central Kalimdor supercontinent)
- Ominous island
- South Seas (contains many islands)
- Tol Barad (sometimes considered part of the Eastern Kingdoms)
- Vashj'ir (submerged landmass with some small islands above the water)
- Isle of Giants (northern coast of Kun-Lai Summit)
- Isle of Thunder (northeast Pandaria)
- Timeless Isle (southwest Pandaria)
- Zandalari Isle (supposedly north of Pandaria; NYI)
Outland's continents Edit
Outland does not have continents in the traditional sense. Outland is itself a single continent that represents the remnants of what was once Draenor. Draenor may have had more than one continent before it was shattered, but these land masses have names lost to the mists of history.
The Elemental Plane's continents Edit
The Firelands might be considered a subcontinent.
The Emerald Dream's continents Edit