In the Nightmare, ordinarily peaceful creatures are corrupted into shadowy, mutated versions of themselves known as corrupted ones. The corrupted ones are vicious and cruel, hunting anything they can, even after they leave the Nightmare's affected zone. They appear to be a type of corrupted creatures.
The process can take minutes, hours or days depending on the creature, and some are never affected. Beings that enter the Nightmare, either voluntarily or because it sweeps across them, must be careful to avoid becoming corrupted. The energy that causes the corruption takes a full day to fade away.
The Nightmare is not a stable place. Occasionally, storms erupt and areas of intense corruption appear. When this happens there is very little that can be done to remove the corruption. Remove curse might help, but if it fails, further remove curse spells are of no use. A heal spell may work as well, but if it fails, further heal spells may actually make things worse until it no longer will help the corrupted individual. Otherwise, the only other means to eliminate corruption is with miracles and wishes.
- Corrupted centaur
- Corrupted member of the green dragonflight
- Corrupted dryad
- Corrupted elephant
- Corrupted giant eagle
- Corrupted keeper of the grove
- Corrupted lammasu
- Corrupted mature green drake
- Corrupted mountain giant
- Corrupted nymph
- Corrupted pixie
- Corrupted satyr
- Corrupted shambling mound
- Corrupted treant
- "Corrupted" is a template in the Warcraft The Roleplaying Game RPG series that creates "corrupted ones".
- It can be used on animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, monstrous humanoid, magical beast, outsider, plant, or vermin.
- Unwaking are corrupted until they will do anything to get back home.
- Nightmare Aberrations and Nightmare Figments in World of Warcraft might be corrupted ones.