Crossbows are long-ranged weapons that use mechanisms to tighten and release bowstrings to fire. They are similar to bows and guns in use; all three use the shooting skill and related hunter skills, including Auto-Shot. Character stats are applied the same way for each type, although stats will vary from item to item.
Vs. Other Shooting Weapons
- There are very few crossbows available in the game. A player should not expect to see very many, if any, at higher levels.
- Crossbows typically have a longer cooldown time than that of bows and guns, but often have higher DPS at the same item level.
- Unlike guns, crossbows cannot be crafted by any profession. They must be must be bought, looted or earned from quests.
A crossbow may be enhanced by installing an engineer-crafted scope on it.
/ Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010):
- Crossbows no longer require ammunition
- All hunters, rogues, and warriors start with the crossbow skill, regardless if they are initially equipped with one.
- Per Class Proficiencies for which classes can use which weapons.
- Quiver - Special bags that increase your Ranged Attack Speed.