|Races|| Night elf|
|Rulers||High Priestess |
|Faiths||Elune, Ancients, Druidism|
|Resources||Gold, Hunting, Timber|
|Sources: Lands of Mystery, 21-2|
Darnassus (aka Darnassus City) is the capital city of the night elves of the Alliance. The high priestess, and the Archdruid Malfurion Stormrage reside in the Temple of the Moon surrounded by sisters of Elune and Draenei ambassadors.
Darnassus is the greatest city of the night elves, housing the leaders of both the druids and the faithful of Elune. It is carefully guarded by Sentinels, ancient protectors, and ancients of war. The city is formidable in spite of the peaceful natures of the night elves. In addition to the night elves, many guests and diplomats from elsewhere reside here, such as groups from the Explorers' Guild and the Knights of the Silver Hand, as well as a few representatives of the Horde negotiating peace treaties. There is only one High elf allowed within its borders. The population here is almost entirely elven, and most of the night elves are tolerant of others. However, there is political strife between the druids and priests.
The atmosphere inside the city is a quiet and somewhat a melancholic one. It does not have the feeling of confinement that one would feel in Stormwind or Ironforge, where the buildings are grouped close together. Darnassus is open to the sky, and the graceful bridges spanning the lake around which it is built set the buildings wide apart. The prime reason why the city's population is so low is that it is isolated: Teldrassil is a small island away from the main mass of Azeroth, and the only way to gain access from another continent is to fly or sail to Rut'theran Village, a small settlement at the base of Teldrassil, and from there step into the glowing portal to the city proper. This is a good thing, though. It is the elves' capital, and should therefore be serene and quiet, holding the mystic and melancholic elements of the night elves.
In the aftermath of the Third War, the night elves had to adjust to their mortal existence. Such an adjustment was far from easy, and there were many night elves who could not adjust to the prospects of aging, disease and frailty. Seeking to regain their immortality, a number of wayward druids conspired to plant a special tree that would reestablish a link between their spirits and the eternal world.
With missing, Fandral Staghelm — the leader of those who wished to plant the new World Tree - became the new Arch-Druid. In no time at all, he and his fellow druids had forged ahead and planted the great tree, Teldrassil, off the stormy coasts of northern Kalimdor. Under their care, the tree sprouted up above the clouds. Among the twilight boughs of the colossal tree, the wondrous city of Darnassus took root. However, the tree was not consecrated with nature's blessing and soon fell prey to the corruption of the Burning Legion. Now the wildlife and even the limbs of Teldrassil are tainted by a growing darkness.
In World of Warcraft EditThis section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
The defenses are spread out due to the water that surrounds a town. A death knight with Path of Frost can easily get a whole raid in the water and to the temple, passing all guards. However, Darnassus does boast the traditional sentinel guards in most locations, and some elite hunters prowl the city on impressive catlike mounts. However, the city is almost completely abandoned by high-level players, who typically congregated in places like Dalaran during Wrath of the Lich King and now mostly Stormwind City since Cataclysm.
Normally players don't heed the warnings of an advance. Unless you're on an RP server, most really don't care about what happens to Darnassus. Though some people do like this city and manage to defend it, the Horde can easily raid it with enough players even during peak hours.
There is a second route into Darnassus for sufficiently devious Horde players. By using an elixir of Water Walking, a Horde player with a fast land mount can cross from Darkshore to the outskirts of the great island tree where Darnassus is located. By running up the tree, then jumping off onto one of the lower roots, the toon will die and be brought to the graveyard inside the tree. By accepting local resurrection and waiting out the resurrection sickness, the Horde toon can gain access to the island and all its territories without encountering any guards at all.
Darnassus is arranged in a few terraces on the north, east and southern sides of a central lake area.
- Warrior's Terrace (area beyond and including the city gate)
- The Temple Gardens (west over causeway from Warrior's Terrace)
- Craftsmen's Terrace (north of Warrior's Terrace)
- Tradesmen's Terrace (south of Warrior's Terrace)
- The Temple of the Moon (south over causeway from Temple Gardens)
- Cenarion Enclave (west of Craftsmen's Terrace)
- The Howling Oak (north between Cenarion Enclave and Craftsmen's Terrace)
Notable characters Edit
- Main article: Darnassus NPCs
Points of interest Edit
- The Bough of the Eternals [40, 42], which contains the bank of Darnassus. It is located on the central island of the Temple Gardens.
- The portal to Rut'theran Village [30, 41], west of the bank. The portal from Rut'theran Village is also usable by Horde characters, allowing Horde raids on the city.
- The Temple of the Moon [39, 76], home of the Sisters of Elune, the high-priestess order of the Night Elves. This is where the leader of the night elves, can be found.
- The Cenarion Enclave [36, 14], where the Arch Druid resides.
- The Auction House [57, 53], located in the Tradesman Terrace.
- The inn [67, 15], located in Craftsmen's Terrace. It is the second most eastern big building in the terrace.
- Three mailboxes: one outside the bank [41.7, 42.0], one outside the auction house [59.7, 55.1], and one outside the inn [67.1, 16.5].
- The forge [58, 46], located in Warrior's Terrace, next to Weapon Master .
Travel connections Edit
Flight Paths Edit
Portals (in the Temple of the Moon) Edit
Known Faction related bonuses:
- The standard vendor discounts of 5%, 10%, 15%, or 20% (depending on standing).
- At Exalted you can purchase a saber mount (not limited to night elves!).
There are a few Repeatable Reputation Quests (RRQs) which raise Darnassus faction and increase reputation:
-  (Part of Ahn'Qiraj opening event and only available on new servers)
-  (Part of Ahn'Qiraj opening event and only available on new servers)
- The 4 Egg quests available from turning in an egg from an Egg Crate
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
- Darnassus is second to the Exodar in being the least visited city of the Alliance. This is likely due to the lack of ease to travel to Darnassus. You will rarely find players hanging out at Darnassus as you would find players hanging out at Ironforge or Stormwind. Since the Cataclysm release, there is slightly more traffic due to proximity to Mount Hyjal, but with portals directly from Stormwind City to Nordrassil Inn it makes little difference.
- When Horde players attack Darnassus, Alliance players rarely will go to try and defend Tyrande Whisperwind because of the hassle it is to travel to Darnassus.
- Prior to the Cataclysm, there were no trainers associated with , , or .
Video EditDarnassus HD - World of Warcraft Cataclysm(03:27)
Patches and hotfixes Edit
- Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): One mailbox added.
- Patch 2.4.0 (25-Mar-2008): One mailbox added.
- Patch 1.6.0 (12-Jul-2005):
- Darnassus has been converted over to the new graveyard system. The system will place your character's spirit at the closest allowed graveyard in the zone.
- An Alliance-only graveyard has been added at the eastern end of Darnassus. Alliance characters dying in Darnassus will use this new graveyard. Horde characters dying on Teldrassil will still only be able to use the graveyard at Dolanaar.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Patrolling scouts that can see through stealth and invisibility have been added to Darnassus.
- Patch 1.3.0 (07-Mar-2005): Added a mailbox to the Darnassus Bank.
The mailbox next to the inn was actually moved, rather than a new mailbox added.