|This article or section needs to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.|
|This article or section contains information that is out-of-date.|
|This article or section is an ability stub. You can help expand it by editing it.|
|Focused Rage (reduced rage cost), Improved Sunder Armor (reduced rage cost)|
Devastate is the 15 point talent in the Warrior Protection tree. It is a tanking skill meant to be used as an upgraded Sunder Armor, as it combines all the effects of Sunder Armor with an amount of damage that increases as Sunder Armor debuffs are stacked on the target.
Devastate is an instant attack that costs 15 Rage before talents, giving it the same cost as Sunder Armor. It deals 120% of the damage of a normal white hit plus an extra amount of damage per application of Sunder Armor on the target. The threat bonus increases with each application of the Sunder Armor debuff stack and resets the timer on the target's Sunder Armor debuff. Devastate is affected by all talents and glyphs that affect Sunder Armor, including Puncture and Glyph of Sunder Armor.
* 854 health damage at level 85.
Tips and Tactics
- Note that while Devastate applies Sunder Armor, you do not get the threat from the Sunder that was applied. You get the threat from the damage dealt by the Devastate plus 5% of your attack power as threat.
- With Patch 2.3 Devastate is affected by all talents that affect Sunder Armor, will cause the Sunder Armor effect and threat bonus, and will therefore generate more threat per rage than (talented or otherwise) Sunder Armor does. If you are a Protection-tree warrior and have Devastate, use it in every situation that you would have used Sunder Armor before 2.3, as Devastate currently functions exactly as a Sunder Armor that causes damage (and thus extra threat).
- The higher the DPS rating on your weapon, the more damage that will be caused with this ability. This is a normalized attack, so weapon attack speed does not matter when calculating bonus damage in terms of attack power. Normalization means, all other things being equal, this will cause less bonus damage when used with a dagger, regardless of weapon speed, and will thus cause less threat. All in all, a slow weapon will still apply more damage to Devastate because of its innate weapon damage.
- It will cause 120% of your Weapon's damage not regarding any speed: 100-100 damage = 100 average damage X 1.2 = 120 Damage
- It will add damage according to the numbers of sunder armor that you have already applied on the mob. For each application it will add 202 points of damage at level 80.
So all in all, when 5 sunder armors are applied on the mob, you would cause 120 + (5 X 202) = 1130 damage (when fighting a mob with 0 armor).
As you see, the damage you do with the dagger is absolutely uncoupled from your attack power rating. Whatever dagger you wear (no matter how fast or slow it may be), the contributed damage via attack power would always be the same. So it can be said that using slower weapons doesn't matter that much, since it only affects the first number in the final formula and will otherwise reduce your aggro gained by spamming heroic strike.
- Useful when solo leveling or rep farming with a Protection-tree Warrior, since it is an instant attack and has no extended cooldown.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): This ability now deals 150% of weapon damage, up from 120% of weapon damage. No longer applies bonust threat.
- Hotfix (2010-02-05): "The damage bonus done by Devastate has been appropriate increased to be in line with the changes made in patch 3.3.2."
- Patch 3.3.2 (2010-01-02): This ability now deals 120% of weapon damage, up from 100% of weapon damage.
- Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): Weapon damage and bonus per Sunder Armor on the target increased by 100%. This ability now requires a shield to be equipped.