|Cooldown||(GCD 1.5 sec)|
- A fool and her blessings are soon parted.
Dispel Magic is a popular ability in PvP combat. This spell can remove most magical buffs. This can even the playing field by returning an opponent's health, armor, or Intellect to normal.
Dispel Magic chooses a buff at random. Many enemy players will often cast unnecessary buffs, such as Water Breathing and Water Walking, to reduce the odds that Dispel Magic will remove an important buff.
The impact of priests who spam Dispel Magic on a battleground is very potent. They can remove druid healing over time effects, powerful protective spells with cooldowns like Ice Barrier and Sacrifice, and can cancel out Slow Fall or Levitate used by mages and priests to escape areas like the Lumber Mill in Arathi Basin. Priests can even remove the Power Word: Shield of another priest.
The most powerful buffs such as Divine Shield and Ice Block can be removed by , but not Dispel Magic. Dispel Magic cannot return a druid to humanoid form because shapeshifting is natural, not magical. However, the shaman Ghost Wolf form is magical and can be dispelled.
- Patch 4.1.0 (26-Apr-2011): Dispel Magic can only be used on the casting priest as a baseline effect.
- Patch 1.10.0 (28-Mar-2006): All spells/abilities that remove existing effects (e.g. Dispel Magic, Cleanse, Remove Curse etc...) will now verify that there is an effect that can be removed before casting.
- Patch 1.9.0 (03-Jan-2006): The mana cost of this spell was changed to a percentage of base mana.
- Patch 1.6.0 (12-Jul-2005): Dispel Magic can no longer be used on players participating in a duel unless the caster is in the duel.