|Hawk Eye increases range|
|Requirements||Requires Ranged Weapon|
Distracting Shot distracts the target by taunting it.
It is VERY important to note that this shot has changed significantly in patch 3.0.2. It is now a taunt, and can be very dangerous if used with Misdirection. This means it forces the target to attack the hunter, ignoring its threat list, rather than generating high threat. The taunt cannot be Misdirected.
This shot no longer increases Misdirection's effectiveness.
Hostile players are Immune to this spell, as with any other threat modifying ability.
This spell is Arcane-based and as such all arcane-immune mobs will be immune to it.
Tips and tactics
It is common for new hunters to underestimate the usefulness of this shot.
Pulling a mob away from a group to crowd control it with Freezing Trap can be tricky, because if you generate too much threat, it will be difficult for the tank to pick it up later. With Distracting Shot, you can taunt the mob towards you without fear of this problem. When the trap wears off, you can either let it run back to the tank, or use another Distracting Shot just before the trap wears off so you can trap it again.
This shot can also be handy for rescuing a healer, by diverting an attacker towards the sturdier hunter. Simillarly, when soloing, if your pet is getting low on health, you can taunt them towards you momentarily before casting Mend Pet, to ensure the spell has time to work before your pet dies.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): This shot now "taunts" the target onto the Hunter. The taunt effect will last 6 seconds. Distracting Shot now only has one rank (rank 1).
Does not affect misdirection anymore.
- Patch 2.0.6 (23-Jan-2007): Misdirection will now redirect the threat from Distracting Shot.
- Patch 1.7.0 (13-Sep-2005): The tooltips for quick Hunter shots have been updated to show them as instant abilities.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Special ability shots no longer add the ranged weapon speed or take into account ranged weapon haste when determining the actual cooldown. The tooltip and cooldown timers should now properly reflect the actual cooldown.
- Patch 1.3.0 (07-Mar-2005): Distracting Shot is now properly improved by the Efficiency and Hawk Eye talents.