|Improved Drain Soul, Fel Concentration, Grim Reach|
- The truest agony goes deeper than mere flesh and bone.
Tips and tactics
Use when an enemy is almost dead to maximize the damage multiplier. When raiding Affliction, substitute Shadow Bolt with it when the boss is below 25%, keeping your DoTs up at all times. This results in extraordinarily high DPS when coupled with Haunt, which amplifies its effect. This effect is comonly refered to as "Drain Soul Execute", or DSe for short. Borrowing from the Warrior ability execute, which has a similar effect.
Use it on enemies that are green and you can farm Soul Shards easily.
It is advisable for warlocks to always keep a few Soul Shards available at all times. A lot of key spells require them.
Combined with the Affliction talent Improved Drain Soul, you can gain back lots of mana for free simply by casting Drain Soul at the end of a fight. This is applicable both while playing solo and in a party or raid, as long as the target is struck first by a member of your group.
Drain Soul can not be reflected.
- Patch 3.3.0 (08-Dec-2009): This spell now deals 4 times the normal damage for all ranks. Previously it was only ranks 6 and above.
- Patch 3.1.0 (14-Apr-2009): Each time Drain Soul deals damage to a target which can grant experience, it now has a chance to generate a .
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): Will now cause four times the damage if the target is at or below 25% health.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Honorable kills will now generate a Soul Shard when Drain Soul is used.