Elekk are a species of large, elephant-like creatures native to Draenor that the draenei commonly employ as mounts. They are found mostly in the northern and eastern parts of Nagrand — where neutral Wild Elekk roam its lush plains (while being preyed upon by poachers for their ivory tusks) — and in the southern region near Oshu'gun — where they congregate into large herds of hostile bull elekk with the giant elekk matriarch Tusker at their head. The Burning Crusade bestiary also reports that "There are accounts of packs of rock flayers taking down even mighty elekk that had wandered into the rock flayers' territory."
Elekk as Mounts
- Main article: Elekk mounts
Elekk are sold by Torallius the Pack Handler located at the exterior elekk stables north of the entrance to the draenei capital of the Exodar. Irisee the Exodar Quartermaster in Icecrown also sells two unique Elekks.
|Mount Name||Availability||Required riding skill||Required Level|
|Brown Elekk||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Gray Elekk||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Purple Elekk||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Great Blue Elekk||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Great Green Elekk||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Great Purple Elekk||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Black War Elekk||PVP||Riding (150)||40|
|Exodar Elekk||100||Riding (150)||40|
|Great Red Elekk||5 500||Riding (150)||40|
The Kessel Run
Kessel, the draenei elekk lord in the southern part of Bloodmyst Isle, temporarily allows Alliance players to ride his elekk for 15 minutes in the quest "". It provides 100% movement speed, which is enough to get to Stillpine Hold, Azure Watch, Odesyus' Landing, and then back. Players can be dismounted either manually (right-clicking the icon), by jumping into water, by entering a building/cave, or by attempting to travel across the bridge to the main part of Bloodmyst Isle. Certain buffs and spells, such as shaman weapon buffs, also dismount the player.
- From looking at the screenshots of the only known baby elekk in the game, Peanut, it is found that baby elekks have actual ears that seem to become horns upon reaching adulthood. Whether this is a goof-up on Blizzard's part or not remains unknown, but for now the player-base is going with it.
- The name of the quest is inspired from Star Wars. The Kessel Run is a smuggling route in the Star Wars galaxy.
- As with the gnomish mechanostrider mounts, no type of elekk mount is currently available to the Horde.
- Some players call elekk "shoopufs" (a reference to a similar creature in Final Fantasy X), much as hawkstriders are called "chocobos". However, since shoopufs aren't as well-known, it's less widespread than the latter nickname.