| This article or section is a lore stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
- This article is about the Cataclysm world event. For elemental invasions in classic WoW, see Elemental Invasions.
|Previous: Operation: Gnomeregan, Zalazane's Fall, Gilneas civil war|
|Next: Invasion of Gilneas, Alliance-Horde War (Cataclysm)|
|Place: Ironforge, Orgrimmar, Stormwind, Thunder Bluff|
|Outcome: Successful defense grants access to two of Cho'gall's four lieutenants.|
|view template • talk about template • edit template|
The Elemental Unrest (also called just the "Elemental Invasion") is a world event that heralds the Cataclysm. Every few hours, elementals attack Stormwind, Orgrimmar, Ironforge, and Thunder Bluff. If players can defeat these elementals and free trapped citizens within their entire city, they will be granted access to two special boss encounters. During the event, a player can venture out into the world to destroy rifts, which grant an achievement only obtainable during the elemental invasion: Tripping the Rifts.
Random earthquakes have been reported in the major cities and zones of Azeroth. In response, the faction leaders of the Alliance and Horde have gathered in Stormwind and Orgrimmar respectively to deal with this turn of events.
Before every invasion event starts, a guard will yell, warning players and citizens about incoming danger. At this time, players are instructed to grab barricades/sandbags from stockpiles around their major city and place them in zones directed by a red arrow. Low-level players unable to participate in this event are instructed to evacuate to the nearest portal activated by several guards. When all barricades are placed or 5 minutes have elapsed, the battle against the invasion begins.
Combating the invasionEdit
All of the districts of the major city will be attacked by elementals spawning from opened rifts. Every elemental has about 320,000 HP and every rift will spawn elementals until 32 are destroyed. Several citizens are trapped in these districts and must be freed by an provided by Earthen Ring Defenders. Players must clear the city of every rift and rescue every citizen within an hour in order to win the event.
After players defeat 32 elementals surrounding a rift, the rift will close and a buff will be applied to all players nearby:
|Fire||Ironforge||Orgrimmar||Stacking damage debuff|
|Earth||Chance to restore 2% HP|
|Water||Stormwind||Thunder Bluff||+15% Power Regained|
|Wind||50 haste rating for 10s|
- Unlike other phased events such as Battle for the Undercity, Operation: Gnomeregan, or Zalazane's Fall, you are not buffed into invulnerability against these powerful mobs. If you are assaulting a rift by yourself or with a few players without a healer present, only attack one elemental at a time.
- Bring an unbinding totem provided by the Earthen Ring Defenders with you. If your allies get trapped by an elemental, they must be freed or healed immediately or they might die within the time of the prison's stun.
- The elementals' prisons are cast in a frontal AoE cone. It has a very short range, so it is possible to avoid it by simply running away during the cast.
VideoEditElemental Invasions HD - World of Warcraft Cataclysm(00:42)
Game Elemental Unrest(04:36)
After the invasionEdit
If an hour has elapsed since the start of the event, Earthen Ring Defenders will intervene and suddenly halt the invasion, removing all elementals from the city. However, players will not benefit and will have to wait until the next event occurs.
Patch changes Edit
- / Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010): Added