|This article or section is a miscellaneous stub. You can help expand it by editing it.|
|Not yet implemented!|
Expansion 5 has yet to be officially named, but is the expected expansion for World of Warcraft after Mists of Pandaria. As of mid-July 2013, only the slightest indicator that Blizzard is starting work on this expansion based on a datamined Expansion05 directory.
In mid-August 2013, MMO Champion reported that Blizzard trademarked the name "The Dark Below" which could be the name of the new expansion (MMO Champion has a pretty good track record on these things). "The Dark Below" is a region of demons and other evil creatures according to the RPG's Manual of Monsters,  which gives hope to those who wanted or speculated a return of the Burning Legion.
Likely eliminating Diablo 3 from the running for using the name "The Dark Below", Blizzard launched a minimalist teaser site for Diablo 3 called "Reaper of Souls", and the background image is called d3x_teaser-en-us.jpg.
It looks like the evidence of "The Dark Below" trademark by Blizzard was not so strong. As, according to MMO Champion, applications don't apparently have to be done by the actual applicant. So, there is a good possibility Blizzard had nothing to do with the application. MMO Champion is declaring this a hoax.
Reddit has now muddied the by giving that someone in Europe is attempting to trademark "The Dark Below" as Blizzard. If Europe's system is like the US and the registrant is not confirmed until the application is accepted, we'll have to wait and see if this is for real in Europe also. Comparing the status of the EU application shows that as of 20-Aug-2013 it is merely "Filed" and not yet "Registered".
One of the most called for expansions is the return of the Burning Legion , as Kil'Jaeden and Sargeras still need to be defeated, along with other bosses. Chris Metzen said in a conference that in the next expansion we will need Turalyon's and Alleria Windrunner's help and that the possibility of Illidan Stormrage returning will be large. He said he loves a "good redemption story."
One of the most hinted at expansion ideas right behind the possibility of the Burning Legion's return could be related to the underwater realm of Queen Azshara and the Old God, N'Zoth. The story of Ozumat has yet to be finished as well. There will be likely an ancient city involved called Ny'alotha mentioned by the Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron and hinted by more unique creatures. The box also refers to the ocean more in its whispers and refers to sleep, also including the Emerald Dream.
- ^ chaud 2013-07-17. Tier 16 Monk Set, Moderator Recruitment, Blue Posts, 25 DK Mogu'shan Vaults. MMO Champion.
- ^ Boubouille 2013-08-13. Blizzard Trademarks "The Dark Below" - WoW or D3 Expansion?. MMO Champion.
- ^ Manual of Monsters, p.191
- ^ Boubouille 2013-08-14. Blizzard Trademarks "Corgis Unleashed" (Okay, not really). MMO Champion.
- ^ bloodyen 2013-08-16. The Dark Below is Trademarked in Europe. Reddit.
- ^ Go to TMView "Find term", enter "tm:The AND tm:Dark AND tm:below AND sc:Filed", and click Search button; 1 result returned
- ^ Go to TMView "Find term", enter "tm:The AND tm:Dark AND tm:below AND sc:Registered", and click Search button; no results returned
- ^ a b Next Expansion after MoP! - Forums - World of Warcraft, Archive of old EU official forums thread (page does not render correctly, see source)