We're planning on trying out a new idea on WoWWiki, called article sponsorship. Essentially, it gives users and/or companies the ability to sponsor specific pages on the wiki. This will appear as a section at the end of that page as a text link with a "external sponsored links" section so it's clear that it's advertising.
See examples here:
- Sponsored ad at http://babes.wikia.com/wiki/Candice_Michelle
- Buy a sponsorship link at http://babes.wikia.com/wiki/Diana_Zubiri
The goals are:
- to re-direct link spammers (which will reduce work for the admins)
- to increase the portion of revenue Wikia gets from non-graphical ads
- to get more relevant ads (the sponsorship requests are manually approved by staff) ideally for third party WoW products and services
08:35, April 12, 2010 (UTC)
- Good morning! A quick update on this - we've been testing sponsorship out on some other wikis, and plan to turn it on on WoWWiki later this week.
- Note that sponsorships will only appear when logged out, and every request is reviewed before going live.
- You can find an actively sponsored example page at http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Sesame_Street - remember to log out to see it! Thanks.
- 18:04, June 1, 2010 (UTC)
- Hey guys, because this is an idea still being tested, we do not have a special page or category set up yet to hold these pages. However, since I agree this sounds like an important tool to the community and because I will be the one reviewing each ad, I will go ahead and create a basic wiki page or blog that lists each sponsored page when the feature goes live tomorrow.
- Again, because this is a test project, there might be some bugs that appear that didn't appear on the other sites. If you see anything that looks odd, feel free to contact me at email@example.com --daNASCAT (Help Forum) (blog) 18:44, June 2, 2010 (UTC)
Hi, we had a couple of reports of private server ads... it seems they slipped though the approval process. They have been removed, and we also reviewed all the current sponsored links to check for any other bad ones. A couple of others were kicked out - it seems one of those approving ads didn't know to look out for private servers as well as gold sellers!
You may also have seen that we've had trouble keeping up with the manual listing of ads, it turned out to be pretty impractical for us to keep going back to that to update. So I've asked the developers to consider adding an automatic page to list all sponsored links on each wiki. In the mean time, please continue to report any bad ads and we will review them as quickly as possible. Thanks -- sannse (help forum | blog) 16:47, September 16, 2010 (UTC)