Profession skill levels fall into eight stages of increasing ability to learn and execute recipes: Apprentice, Journeyman, Expert, Artisan, Master (), Grand Master (), Illustrious (), and Zen Master ().
- Not counting any racial or other bonuses, at a skill level of 350 you can learn the Grand Master stage and gain up to a maximum of 450 points:
- Gathering professions have a minimum level of 55 to become a Grand Master.
- Crafting professions have a minimum level of 65 to become a Grand Master.
- The trainer who can train the Grand Master stage for each profession usually has a title of <Grand Master Profession Trainer>, and can only be found in an area accessible to owners of the expansion (usually in the Borean Tundra, Howling Fjord, Icecrown or Dalaran).
- Players without cannot level any skill or profession above 375 points (not including racial traits or other bonuses).