Guns are long-ranged weapons that use an explosive charge (assumed, not specifically stated in the WoW universe) to propel a bullet. They are similar to bows and crossbowss in use; all three use the shooting skill and related hunter skills, including Auto-Shot. Character stats are applied the same way for each type, although stats will vary from item to item.
Vs. Other Shooting Weapons
- There are many types of guns, which all operate the same way: boomstick, bunderbuss, rifle, etc.
- Unlike bows and crossbows, certain guns can be crafted by engineers. Additional gun types are available through purchase, looting and questing.
- Guns fire with relatively loud explosion sounds which some players have found to be irritating after a while. In PvP play, this aspect tends to give away the shooter's presence/position from a farther distance.
A gun may be enhanced by installing an engineer-crafted scope on it.
Firearms are a relatively new dwarven invention. Despite the dangers of dealing with volatile explosives, dwarves are fascinated by the possibilities. Dwarven gunmakers constantly tinker with the guns they craft, trying out new designs and upgrades, naming and decorating their weapons. Despite the more "advanced" names used for many of the guns in-game, they are irrelevant and still belong to the three gun groups below.
- Flintlock Pistol
- Long Rifle
- The king of small arms, a long rifle is nearly as long as a dwarf is tall. Thanks to the innovative barrel design, a skilled sharpshooter can use the long rifle to knock an apple of an orc’s head from nearly half a mile away – assuming the rifleman can resist the urge to shoot the orc instead. The long rifle holds a single shot and thereafter it is required to reload for another shot.
/ Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010):
- Guns no longer require ammunition
- All hunters, rogues, and warriors start with the gun skill, regardless if they are initially equipped with one.
- Per Class Proficiencies for which classes can use which weapons.