- This extension can be enabled or disabled using Special:WikiFeatures.
- This extension is enabled by default on Wikia.
Message Wall is a communication tool that allows you send public messages to other users.
To start a new conversation...
- Simply go to the Profile of the person you want to talk to, and click their "Message Wall" tab.
- Enter a subject line for your message where it says "What's this about?" This will help you identify the conversation when you need to come back to it later.
- Enter the text of your message in the area below.
- Use wikitext or source mode buttons to format your message or add photos or videos.
- Click "Post."
To reply to an existing conversation...
- Click on "Post a Reply" at the bottom of the conversation
- Enter your message in the field that appears.
- Click "Reply."
To quote a previous message...
- Hover over the message you would like to quote.
- Click quote, and the message will be quoted and added to the reply box. You can then add your response below the quoted text.
On a message wall, anyone can remove a message, and anyone can restore a message. You can use these tools to help clean up vandalism.
To remove a message...
- Hover over the message and click the "more" button.
- Click "Remove" in the dropdown menu.
- In the screen that appears, provide an explanation for why you are removing this message.
- If you need additional help from an admin, click "Notify an admin." (This isn't necessary for every removal.)
- Click "Remove."
Viewing History and Restoring Messages
The easiest way to find a message that has been removed is to go to the History.
If you've trying to find a removed thread, you need to find this in the Wall history.
- Go to the Message Wall page and click "History" in your toolbar.
- Scan through the history for the record of the thread being removed. Click on the message.
- You will be brought to the message page. You can click "Restore" at the top of the page to bring it back.
If you're trying to find a removed reply, you need to go to the Thread History.
- Click the "More" menu at the top of the conversation.
- Select "History" from the menu that appears. This will take you to the Thread History.
- Scan the history for a record of the reply being removed. Click on the message number.
- You will be brought to a view of the removed reply, with the option of restoring it.
Closing and Deleting Threads (Admins Only)
On a message wall, admins have the option to close a thread to prevent further replies.
To close a thread...
- Hover over the first message in a thread and click the "more" button.
- Click "Close this thread" in the dropdown menu.
- In the screen that appears, provide an explanation for why you are closing the thread.
- Click "Close".
- First remove the thread.
- Then find the removed page through your Wall or Thread History pages (described above).
- When viewing the removed thread, click the "More" link on the thread, and choose "Delete".
- Leave an explanation for why you have deleted it.
- Click "Delete."
How to Enable Message Wall on a Wiki
- If you're an admin of your wiki, click the "Admin" link on the toolbar at the bottom of your screen.
- Click the Wiki Features icon in your Admin Dashboard.
- Find the "Labs" section near the bottom of the page, and see Message Wall listed there.
- Click the "Disabled" toggle so that it changes to "Enabled". Special Considerations
- If you enable Message Wall, it will replace Talk Pages in your wiki's User Profiles. Your User Talk Pages will be archived.
- If you disable Message Wall after it's been running on your wiki, it will hide from view. This means existing conversations will not be visible until Wall is enabled again.
- Greetings: You can create a welcome message at the top of your wall by adding content to the page "
Message Wall Greeting:USERNAME"
- View Source: If you would like to be able to see the source code of other people's messages, you can enable View Source in your Preferences. Just go to the "Under the Hood" tab, and you'll see it under "Advanced Display Options." This will add "Source Mode" to the menu that appears on each message. On wikis where the message wall extension is disabled you cannot modify the view source on threads preference.
Further Help and Feedback
- Browse and search other help pages at Help:Contents
- Check Help:Wikia Community Central for sources of further help and support
- Check Help:Contacting Wikia for how to report any errors or unclear steps in this article