|Cooldown||(GCD 1.5 sec)|
- Glyph of Icy Veins
- Item Level
- Major Glyph
- Classes: Mage (Frost)
- Requires Level 25
- Use: Permanently teaches you this glyph.
Your Icy Veins causes your Frostbolt, Frostfire Bolt, Ice Lance, and your Water Elemental's Waterbolt spells to split into 3 smaller bolts that each do 160% damage, instead of increasing spell casting speed.
- Sell Price: 1
The quadruple bonus on frozen targets is applied after all spell damage, talents, and other modifiers have been calculated. The spell damage coefficient is very low, only 14.29%, however when quadrupled on a frozen target, the effective coefficient would be 57.16%.
Ice Lance is a great source of burst DPS in solo, PvP, and some group situations. It is useful in any situation where an enemy can be frozen, which makes it less useful on most dungeon bosses. Since the damage bonus is applied after all other flat modifiers such as spell damage effects, the burst damage can get pretty high.
Ice Lance is one of the offensive mage abilities that can be used while moving, and the fact that it has no cooldown other than the global cooldown means that it can be spammed repeatedly. Interestingly, it is possible to use Ice Lance to make a "fighting retreat" so to speak and use it on foes directly behind the mage's path of movement. The trick is to face perpendicular to the target that you wish to flee from and side-step out of the way. Thus, if you face left with the target to your left, move to your right, and if you face right with the target to your right, move to your left. The actual targeting arc for spells and abilities is 180 degrees in front of a character, so by "torso twisting" in this manner a mage can run away at full speed while still showering the foe with Ice Lance attacks.
On non-frozen targets, the spell is a useful instant that costs very little mana. Unlike wanding, Ice Lance can be cast while running. In PvP, use it to take down shaman totems or to interrupt flag captures in battlegrounds.
Summon your minion. From a decent range(~20y), target your enemy and begin casting your . While Frostbolt is casting, use the minion's Freeze on your enemy, and immediately when Frostbolt is done casting start spamming Ice Lance. Because of the distance and travel time, Frostbolt and Ice Lance should hit at the same time and both crit, leading to burst damage of up to ~5000.
- Patch 5.4.0 (10-Sep-2013) Ice Lance damage has been increased by 43%.
- Patch 4.1.0 (26-Apr-2011): Fingers of Frost bonus damage applied to Ice Lance has been increased to 25%, up from 15%.
- Patch 3.3.0 (08-Dec-2009): The tooltip on this ability will now update properly from all talents which increase its damage by a percentage.
- Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): The mana has been reduced by approximately 15%.
- Patch 3.0.3 (04-Nov-2008): Molten Fury: This talent no longer prevents Ice Lance ranks 2 and 3 from dealing triple damage against frozen targets.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): Arcane Impact renamed to Spell Impact and now affects Blast Wave, Fire Blast, Cone of Cold, and Ice Lance.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): Two ranks added for the 71-80 character level range.
- Patch 2.1.0 (22-May-2007): A data error was fixed that was causing Ice Lance to cause more threat than intended.
- Patch 2.0.3 (09-Jan-2007): "Ice Lance" is now correctly affected by "Elemental Precision".; Casting "Ice Lance" will no longer consume the mage’s talent "Presence of Mind" buff.
- / Patch 2.0.1 (05-Dec-2006): Introduced with one rank.