Kael'thas and his lieutenants
|Main leader||Kael'thas Sunstrider|
|Race(s)|| Blood elf|
|Base of operations||Netherstorm, Terokkar Forest, Isle of Quel'Danas|
|Capital||Tempest Keep, Magisters' Terrace|
|Affiliation||Burning Legion, Illidan's forces (supposedly), Silvermoon (formerly)|
|Status||Defeated by heroes of Outland and by Alliance and Horde in Isle of Quel'Danas.|
Kael'thas' forces (also referred as Kael'thas' army) is the term referring to the armies under Kael'thas Sunstrider after he departed from Azeroth and joined the Illidan's forces. The army consists mostly in blood elves but also include some fel orcs and demons.
Formation of the army
- Main article: Alliance Remnants
Prince Kael'thas led a group of his healthiest fighters to join the battlefront, where they hoped to fight the Scourge alongside Alliance forces in the aftermath of the Third War, but his commander, Garithos, was a racist man who put him in almost impossible missions, for one Kael'thas had to get help from Illidan's Naga, however, this act was considered as treason and was sentenced to death. With no other choice he joined Illidan's forces and went to Outland to find his master.
Alliance with Illidan's forces
Around 15% of the blood elves followed him, there the combined forces of blood elves and naga defeated the Watchers, leaded by Maiev Shadowsong. After defeating the night elves Illidan was reunited with his forces and prepared to defeat Magtheridon, the Lord of Outland, after some battles, Illidan's forces defeated Magtheridon but Kil'jaeden appeared and ordered Illidan to destroy the Lich King. Kael'thas was optimistic that they would destroy the Frozen Throne. Kael'thas' forces established across Northrend and were in war against the Scourge, then one day Arthas arrived and destroyed a settlement, after the battle Kael and Arthas had a discussion, where Kael'thas was confident that the vast armies of Illidan would destroy the Scourge once and for all. Arthas, with the help of Anub'arak, managed to emerge in Icecrown after taking a shortcut and confronted to Illidan, Vashj, Kael'thas and their armies. However Arthas defeated Illidan in single combat and Kael'thas was forced to leave. Kael'thas felt that Illidan's agenda was shortsighted and made a new alliance with his previous enemy, the Burning Legion.
Activities in Outland
With Outland serving as the strategic battlefront in the ongoing Burning Crusade, the naaru recently used Tempest Keep to reach the shattered land. However, when the naaru set out from their stronghold, Kael'thas and his blood elves quickly raided the dimensional fortress and assumed control over its satellite structures. Though Kael'thas and his minions maintain a tight hold on the keep, a band of draenei, leaded by Velen, hijacked one of its satellite structures, the Exodar, and used it to escape Outland, but the blood elves managed to sabotage the Exodar, and, while it managed to reach Azeroth, it crashed.
- See also: Sunfury
Kael'thas wasn't part of the Kirin Tor anymore, and found out that they held a village called Kirin'Var Village in Netherstorm. One night he attacked the village, it began with an explotion of a mana bomb in the officer quarters at the northwest of the village. Thousands of blood elves attacked, even bringing Dimensional Ships with them, and Archmage Vargoth casted a protective ward on the tower.
Master Daellis Dawnstrike led the attack, he was a commander of the Sunfury blood elves and fought in the front lines, killing many Kirin Tor mages. During the attack Spellreaver Marathelle looted the , Summoner Kanthin claimed Glacius as his trophy, Naberius betrayed the Kirin Tor and handed the blood elves the secrets of the Violet Tower's defenses that Vargoth had casted before, leading Kirin'var to defeat. Kael'thas' forces murdered all of the village inhabitants with the exception of Archmage Vargoth, which was imprisoned in the Violet Tower by Kael'thas, and Ravandwyr, who fled with the in hope to rescue his master later. Vargoth was sealed with a magic that forbids passage to anyone of the Kirin Tor, but also Kael'thas took the from him and gave it to Spellbinder Maryana, finally he left Ar'kelos as a guardian to guard Vargoth's prision. After the destruction of the village the blood elves withdrew to Sunfury Hold, where some Sunfury were left stationed, including Spellreaver Marathelle. After that mana surges and arcane wraiths started to appear becasue the mana bomb have caused a rift in the nether.
Scryers and Azeroth blood elves betrayal
One day Kael'thas sent out a regiment of blood elves, leaded by Voren'thal to destroy Shattrath City. When the draenei prepared to defend the naaru from the invaders, the blood elves dropped their weapons and pledged alligance to the Sha'tar. That day Kael'thas forces suffered the most losses from ever before, many of the best and brightest amongst Kael's scholars and magisters were convinced by Voren'thal to join the Sha'tar. They called themselves the Scryers and became an enemy of Kael'thas forces.
When the Dark Portal was reopened, the blood elves that were left on Azeroth entered to Outland, but they leared that Kael'thas had lied to them and that there was no paradise and he had been looking for his own interests. Instead of helping him the blood elves helped the heros of Azeroth in fighting him.
| This article or section is a lore stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
Kael'thas was conducting several experiments across Outland. One of them was creating and dropping red crystals that summon colossi and drive them mad. After that experiment failed because of the intervention of the Cenarion Expedition, he used an artifact created at the project at Firewing Point to destroy the Cenarion Thicket as a vengeance -- the mana bomb. He used the Bonechewer clan as a distraction, but nevertheless, the project was destroyed by the Alliance and Horde and the Bonechewer clan was defeated.
Defeat in Outland
The adventurers of Azeroth guided by the Naaru not only stopped the dark plans of Kael's forces in Netherstorm but also launched a successful invasion of Tempest Keep which nearly killed their leader Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider.
Azeroth and the final defeat
Though nearly destroyed in Outland, Kael'thas and what remained of his forces not only launched an invasion of Silvermoon and captured the Naaru M'uru, but were able to begin the summoning of Kil'jaeden into Azeroth. Despite this victory the proud defenders of Azeroth with the aid of the Shattered Sun Offensive boldy challenged and defeated the last remnants of Kael'thas's forces, where they finally killed the Sun King.
- Crimson Hand
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King manual, p.6
- ^ World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King manual, p.7
- ^ Khadgar's Server event Quote:The defection of Voren'thal and his followers was the largest loss ever incurred by Kael's forces.
- ^ a b
- ^ File:Scryer flash.jpg
- ^ The Warcraft Encyclopedia - Kael'thas Sunstrider. Retrieved on 2009-06-22.
- ^ "Curse of the Blood Elves: A Dark Covenant", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ "Curse of the Blood Elves: The Dungeons of Dalaran", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ "Curse of the Blood Elves: The Crossing", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ The Warcraft Encyclopedia - Blood Elves. Retrieved on 2009-06-22. “Approximately 85% of the blood elves still dwell on Azeroth rather than Outland.”
- ^ "Curse of the Blood Elves: The Search for Illidan", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ "Curse of the Blood Elves: Lord of Outland", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ "Curse of the Blood Elves: Kil'jaeden's Command", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ "Legacy of the Damned: The Return to Northrend", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ "Legacy of the Damned: A Symphony of Frost and Flame", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ The Warcraft Encyclopedia - Illidan Stormrage. Retrieved on 2009-06-22.
- ^ Black Temple Gameplay Trailer. Retrieved on 2009-06-22.
- ^ Tempest Keep. Retrieved on 2009-06-22.
- ^ File:Draenei flash.jpg
- ^ a b c World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade. Blizzard Entertainment. Netherstorm. Custodian Dieworth:
Kirin'Var survived 20 long years and countless or assaults, but it could not withstand the forces of Kael'thas. A man who once called himself a member of the Kirin Tor murdered all of us, save one..
Archmage Vargoth survived the attack so Kael'thas imprisoned him within the Violet Tower, warding it with a magic that forbids the passage of any of the Kirin Tor.
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade. Blizzard Entertainment. Netherstorm. Archmage Vargoth:
The night Kael'thas leveled the village, I could do nothing to help. His magic had already sealed me in the tower, exacerbating my torment by forcing me to witness the deaths of my fellows..
And still the voices are calling from far away, waking me up in the middle of the night.
- ^ a b Quest:The Unending Invasion
- ^ Excerpts from the Journal of Archmage Vargoth
- ^ Quest:Down With Daellis
- ^ a b Quest:Unlocking the Compendium
- ^ Quest:Summoner Kanthin's Prize
- ^ Quest:Capturing the Phylactery
- ^ Quest:Destroy Naberius!
- ^ Quest:The Sigil of Krasus
- ^ Quest:Ar'kelos the Guardian
- ^ Quest:The Sunfury Garrison
- ^ Khadgar's Server event
- ^ Conversation between Pathaleon and Shart Voldoun
- ^ a b Conversation between Pathaleon and Arcanist Ardonis
- ^ Netherologist's Notes
- ^ Quest:Off To Area 52