The Mak'gora (also written as Mak'Gora) is a duel of honor, a challenge for leadership of the Horde, and possibly to the individual clans. Traditionally it is a duel to the death, under Warchief Thrall's rule it became a non-lethal combat.
In a traditional Mak'gora, the challengers set the terms of the engagement. For example, in the case of Garrosh Hellscream and Cairne Bloodhoof, Cairne decided the rules were: each person may use only one weapon, blessed by a shaman of their choosing, and wear only a loin cloth. Furthermore each person must have at least one witness present ("Although I daresay we'll have more than that.").
Known Mak'gora Edit
- Issued by Garrosh Hellscream to Thrall. The duel, in the modern way, was interrupted when the Scourge invaded Orgrimmar.
- Issued by Cairne Bloodhoof and Garrosh Hellscream, who requested it to be a traditional duel. Garrosh chose Magatha Grimtotem to bless Gorehowl, and Cairne died when the poison, she had secretly applied to the blade, prevented him from avoiding the axe. Because of the use of poison, Garrosh felt that Magatha cheated him out of a real victory.
- Issued by Ashra Valandril to Shagara. Ashra did not know what mak'gora means and he understood it simply as a duel and even did not accept the ritual blessing. Ashra lost but Shagara did not kill him.
Possible Mak'gora Edit
- One may have occurred when Orgrim Doomhammer defeated and killed Blackhand the Destroyer, taking control of the Horde at the end of the First War. Tradition allowed a warrior to challenge his chieftain for supremacy, and Doomhammer won this challenge with a blow that crushed Blackhand's skull.
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide
- ^ Sources never specifically call this event a Mak'gora.
Notable Mak'Gora Edit
- Garrosh Hellscream challenged Thrall who accepted. The duel was interrupted however with the Scourge Invasion of Orgrimmar
- Cairne Bloodhoof challenged Garrosh to a duel after the massacre of the peaceful druid gathering in Ashenvale. Garrosh accepted, on the condition that they do an old Mak'Gora, making it a fight to the death. It ended with Magatha Grimtotem using Garrosh to kill Cairne.