|This article or section is a miscellaneous stub. You can help expand it by editing it.|
|Ingredients • Milling • Quests • Recipes • Trainers • Glyphs • Economical Training|
Glyphs are spell and ability enhancements created by scribes. Until used, they are not soulbound and can be traded or sold. The colors used in Glyphs are colors of the class for which they are meant. Glyphs are optional and not vital to game completion, although they may provide an edge.
Prime glyphs Edit
Prime glyphs are effective in combat, and generally increase the healing or damage of an ability.
- Increases the healing done by an ability: , .
- Increases the damage done by an ability: , .
- Add an additional effect to your ability: , .
Major glyphs Edit
Major glyphs feature spell changes that may increase the damage, or another feature of the spell. Some of these glyphs have trade-offs. For example increasing direct damage but removing a DoT effect of the spell.
Minor glyphs Edit
Minor glyphs give convenient or cosmetic improvements, such as reducing a spell's cost or removing the need for a spell's reagent.
- Increases the duration of a spell: .
- Removes the reagent cost of a spell: .
- Changes the graphics of a spell: .
- Increases the effectiveness of a spell: .
Class-specific Glyphs Edit
|(requires 425 inscription skill)|
|T:#||Learned from a trainer with # Inscription skill|
|M:#||Minor Inscription Research (requires # Inscription skill)|
|N||Northrend Inscription Research (requires 385 Inscription skill)|
|V:#||Vendor (requires # Inscription skill)|
|Major Glyph||Source||Major Glyph||Source|
|Minor Glyph||Source||Minor Glyph||Source|
|T:190||Scroll of Wisdom|
In Cataclysm EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Initially, there would be additional glyphs known as "ancient glyphs", added with the Path of the Titans system. When Path of the Titans was cancelled, the glyph system was changed to three tiers - Major, Medium and Minor. This was later changed to the system implemented in Patch 4.0.1 - Prime, Major and Minor.
- By default, the glyph UI is a tab on the talents window.
- Players gain access to glyph slots based on their level:
- Level 25: 1 Prime, 1 Major, 1 Minor.
- Level 50: 2 Prime, 2 Major, 2 Minor.
- Level 75: 3 Prime, 3 Major, 3 Minor.
- Players who bought their Dual Talent Specialization will have two different sets of glyphs, and will need to activate a specialization in order to change its glyphs.
- Glyphs can be installed at any time except when the player is in combat.
Like gems, once installed, a glyph is consumed. It cannot be recovered.Glyphs are no longer "used"; they are now learned.
- Glyphs are now learned. Once purchased and read, they are added to a sortable library.
- Glyphs are no longer destroyed; however in order to switch one for another you must use vanishing dust.
- Glyph effects cannot be stacked (they are Unique-equipped).
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 6.0.2 (14-October-2014): All characters now learn some important Major Glyphs automatically as they level up.
- Patch 5.4.0 (10-Sep-2013) Cosmetic glyphs added.
- / Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010): Added Prime Glyphs and Glyph slots. The minimum level requirement to use glyphs is 25. You will unlock a Prime Glyph slot, a Major Glyph slot and a Minor Glyph slot at level 25, 50 and 75.