|This article or section contains information that is out-of-date.|
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Paid Character Transfer feature?
The paid character transfer feature allows you to move characters to other realms and even from one account to another, subject to certain restrictions. You must be the original subscriber of both accounts to and from. The cost of each paid character transfer is $25.00 USD per character plus tax in applicable areas. Currently we only accept payment by credit card (American Express, Discover, Mastercard, and Visa) for these transactions.
Why am I unable to transfer to or from a specific realm?
A realm may not be an eligible destination for a variety of reasons, including:
- The realm is full or densely populated at this time.
- It has been fewer than 180 days since the realm was launched
- There might be an upcoming free character migration to or from this realm.
The aforementioned restrictions may also apply to the eligibility of source realms. Keep in mind that we are constantly evaluating these populations and availability may change without notice.
Please note that Blizzard reserves the right to disable paid character transfers to or from any realm at its own discretion.
Some other realms seem to meet the criteria, but mine does not. Why?
Blizzard monitors numerous factors contributing to individual realm availability. While two realms may appear to be the same from a playability perspective, there may be some technical reasons why we are unable to implement transfers to certain realms at certain times.
Blizzard's goal is always to allow you the widest selection of destinations and to ultimately get you where you want to be. Part of this process means we must ensure the stability of all realms along the way.
Does this mean I can now transfer my characters to any realm I want?
While this new feature allows a much greater degree of freedom than past realm-to-realm migrations, there are still some restrictions for paid character transfers, which include the following:
- Transfers between accounts can be done only if you are the subscriber on both accounts. (We do not support the transfer of characters between friends, guild mates, or family members.)
- Trial accounts are not eligible to send or receive characters. To remove this restriction please upgrade to a paid account.
- Characters may not be transferred to or from a locked, suspended, or banned account.
- Customers with expansion accounts cannot transfer characters to a non-expansion account. The reverse is accepted.
- A character's mailbox and auctions must be completely clear before that character can be transferred.
- A character that is the leader of a guild may not be transferred as long as he/she remains the leader. If you wish to transfer a character that is currently a guild leader you must transfer leadership to another member or disband your guild.
- Your character(s) can be locked at any point during the processing of the transfer. If you log into the game before the transfer is complete and create any auctions, this will cause the transfer to fail and you will have to restart it through the website.
- If you are logged into a character before the transfer is complete, this may delay it from processing so we encourage you to stay logged out until it is done. Keep in mind that you will lose any mail that you leave in your mailbox when the process is completed.
- Every character to be transferred has to be at least level 10.
- Characters carrying too much gold are not eligible for transfer, as follows:
- Level 10-30: 300 gold limit
- Level 31-50: 1000 gold limit
- Level 51-69: 5000 gold limit
- Level 70-80: 20000 gold limit
- An individual character may only be transferred once every 3 days.
- Characters on a realm that is not on the Eligible Source list cannot be moved to another realm.
- However, a character on a realm that is not listed as an eligible source can still be transferred from one account to another, as long as the character remains on the same realm (see elsewhere in this FAQ for information and restrictions on account-to-account transfers).
- Realms listed on the Ineligible Destination list cannot receive characters from another realm.
- However, a character on an ineligible destination realm can be transferred from one account to another and remain on the same realm (see elsewhere in this FAQ for information and restrictions on account-to-account transfers).
- You may only transfer characters to a realm as long as you will not exceed the maximum of ten characters per realm at your destination once the transfer is complete.
- Realms that frequently have queues and/or regularly show a high concurrency may be taken off the list of eligible destination realms to prevent overpopulating realms through character transfers.
Note: Please be aware that after logging out of World of Warcraft, a character will not be available for the paid character transfer service for up to 20 minutes.
My realm is an RP realm; how does that affect restrictions?
The RP (Role-playing) tag has no effect on transfer restrictions. If your RP realm is marked as "RP-PvP," then it counts as a PvP realm. If you are on a realm marked only as "RP," it counts as a normal PvE realm. The standard faction restrictions apply for PvP.
Will I be able to transfer between Oceanic and non-Oceanic realms?
The classification of a realm as "Oceanic" only refers to the realm's local time settings. This classification will not affect your ability to transfer characters to or from that realm, although the realms may be restricted for other reasons (as mentioned above).
How do I transfer one of my characters to another realm?
Simply log on to the Account Management section, click the Paid Character Transfer button, and follow the on-screen instructions. During the process you will be asked for your credit card information. Please note that this is for verification purposes only. Your credit card will not be billed until you have completed the paid character transfer process.
Once you have entered the necessary information and confirmed the transfers you will receive a confirmation email. Also, the characters you signed up for transfers will be unavailable until the process finishes, which should take no more than 5 days. The estimated time for this transfer to be completed is provided when the character information is being entered. Upon completion of the process you will receive another email prompting you to sign into the Transactions page to finalize the transfer. Follow these instructions, and your characters will be available and ready to play on the new realm.
I signed a character up for a realm transfer, but it's still on the old realm and I can't play with this character anymore. What's going on?
Character transfers may take up to 5 days to process. You won't be able to play the characters you signed up for a transfer during that time, so you may want to spread out your transfers so that not all your characters are locked at the same time. Once you've completed the transfer process as described above, your characters will appear on the destination realm, ready to continue your adventure.
I get an error message saying that my character still has items in his mailbox and therefore cannot be transferred, but my mailbox is empty.
If you see this error message even after you've cleared out your mailbox, then this probably means that you still have inbound mail that hasn't arrived yet. Some quests generate mail to your character, or perhaps someone sent you a package that just hasn't arrived yet. Simply wait until the mail arrives, clear your mailbox, and try again. Contact the in-game support if the problem persists.
Why can't I transfer a character immediately after logging out of the game?
After logging out of World of Warcraft, no character(s) will be available for transfer for up to 20 minutes. After being offline for 20 minutes, players can begin the paid character transfer process.
What if my character's name is already taken on the destination realm?
In case of a naming conflict, you will be prompted to rename your character after the transfer is complete and you log into the new realm. Please be aware that any new name created for your character must comply with Blizzard's naming policy, found here.
Does the paid character transfer allow me to change my character's race, faction, class, or appearance?
No. The character is relocated with its current identity intact. Your character's race, faction, class, and appearance cannot be changed.
Can I transfer characters from one account to another?
To initiate a transfer between two accounts where you are the subscriber, you will need to specify the account name associated with the account you wish to transfer a character to, and answer the 'secret question' for the account you are transferring the character off of (source account). Without this information an account to account transfer will not be possible.
Who is eligible for account-to-account transfers?
Characters may be eligible for transfer between accounts which are registered to the same user. To conduct an account-to-account transfer, you will have to answer the 'secret question' for the account you are transferring the character off of (source account), and the last name on both accounts must match. We do not support the transfer of characters between friends, guild mates, or family members.
Why is it set up that way?
Can I transfer characters from one region to another (i.e. moving North American characters to European realms or accounts)?
No. Characters can only be transferred between realms and accounts within the same region.
Is there any way to check the status of my character transfers?
Yes. By logging in to the Account Management section and clicking the Paid Character Transfer button you will be able to access a page that lists the details of all your pending, completed, and ineligible transfers. You can also use this overview to cancel pending character transfers before they are completed.
How do I cancel a pending character transfer?
You can cancel pending character transfers on the character transfer status page. Check the section containing your pending transfers and follow the on-screen instructions if you wish to cancel a pending character transfer.
If I don't like the new realm or change my mind, can I transfer back?
Once you have chosen to complete your transfer, you cannot reverse it. We strongly recommend you research your destination realm ahead of time to ensure it is a desirable long-term environment for you, before you initiate the transfer. The only way to move the character off the realm again would be to wait 30 days for that character to become eligible for another transfer.
Am I able to play my character after I have initiated a transfer?
When you initiate a transfer your character will be put into a queue to be processed. During this time the character will be available for play, however, being logged in to a character selected to move may prolong the transfer process or prevent the transfer from occurring. A character will not be able to be moved until it is logged out. Please keep in mind that the normal restrictions regarding mail and auctions will still apply.
Will all my stuff be transferred along with my character?
Your character will arrive on the destination realm with all the gold, equipment, pets, and all items in your characters' inventory and the bank. You will also keep all your bank slots. Quests will also be transferred, but please be aware that the progress for quests that require you to kill a certain number of monsters will be lost. Your Friend List and Ignore List will be cleared upon transfer. NOTE: Any items, gold, mail, or other character progress unexpectedly lost during the transfer will not be restored.
What happens to my honor points?
Your honor points and lifetime honor ranking will be transferred along with your character; however, any honor accrued after the last honor calculation but before your transfer is initiated may be lost.
Will I still have my Arena points?
Yes, your arena points transfer with your character; however, any arena points accrued after the last maintenance but before your transfer is initiated may be lost. Also, your character will not have any arena team affiliation upon arrival at the destination realm. Keep in mind that since your character will be removed from its arena team at the time of transfer, when the arena season concludes, you will not receive an arena title for your participation in the arena team you left behind when you transferred. If the current arena season will be ending soon and you would like to receive the title from your arena participation, you may want to wait for the season to officially conclude prior to transferring off the realm.
Will I lose my Arena-Awarded Drake and Titles if I transfer?
Only if you transfer during the time period beginning with when the season ends and when the rewards are actually given. If you transfer realms during this time-frame, you will no longer be considered eligible for the title and the Nether drake. However, this applies only to the time period between the end of the season and the granting of the rewards. If you transfer at any other time, you will not lose your rewards.
Will my guild status be transferred?
Your guild affiliation and tabard design will not be transferred. You will have to join or create a new guild on your destination realm.
Is there any discount if I am transferring more than one character?
We do not have a discount plan available at this time for multiple transfers. Should we offer any additional promotions or pricing options, they would be announced on our website.
What form of payment can I use to make a paid character transfer?
At this time the only form of payment that can be used to make a transfer is an authorized credit card but as always Blizzard is working to make more options available in the future.
How do I know if I will be taxed?
Players in select states in the U.S. may be subject to taxation when transferring their characters between realms and/or accounts using the Paid Character Transfer service. This list includes but is not limited to:
- New Mexico
If you have any questions or concerns in regards to the Paid Character Transfer tax or the amount that will be added, please contact your state's Department of Revenue.