Pain Suppression is a priest ability learned at level 58 for those with the Discipline specialization. It is an eight second shield buff which permanently reduces a friendly target's threat by 5% and, while active, reduces all damage taken by 40%.
Modified by Edit
- This is an often life-saving shield, especially while being pounded on by multiple enemies, such as in arenas.
Pain Suppression really shines in a PvP or Arena situation. No one likes to have their enemies healed, so healers are often "target #1" and focused on by many enemies at once. A common strategy for an opposing group is to all simultaneously blow their most powerful cooldowns and spells on the enemy's healer. To avoid being instantly knocked out of the game, a priest can pop this spell in an attempt to survive the onslaught. If used with any combination of , , or grenade, and heals it is possible to survive an otherwise hopeless situation. Hopefully, while the priest was the focus, enemies will have been destroyed or fairly weakened by teammates.
It is important to note that the 5% aggro reduction component of this buff is permanent. The more times it is used on a tank, the less dps is required to pull aggro off of him. It is not advisable to use this ability on tanks on fights where dps aggro is already an issue. In situations where mass AoE is needed, a Pain Suppression can be used to save a caster who has pulled aggro.
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 5.2.0 (5-Mar-2013): Pain Suppression and Guardian Spirit can now always be cast while stunned.
- Patch 4.0.6 (8-Feb-2011): Pain Suppression is no longer dispellable.
- / Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010): Moved to tier 5.
- Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): No longer can be cast while under the effects of Incapacitate or Cyclone.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): Cooldown increased to 3 minutes, up from 2.
- Patch 2.3.0 (13-Nov-2007): Is now usable on friendly targets, instantly reduces the target's threat by 5%, reduces damage taken by 40% and its cooldown has been reduced to 2 minutes.
- Patch 2.2.0 (25-Sep-2007): This talent will now reduce the chance for any buff on the Priest to be dispelled, rather than reduce the chance of dispelling buffs cast while it is active.
- Patch 2.1.0 (22-May-2007): Pain Suppression now reduces damage taken by 65% and increases resistance to Dispel mechanics by 65% for the duration.