|This article or section is a Mists of Pandaria stub. You can help expand it by editing it.|
Previewed at BlizzCon 2011, the Pet Battle System allows most formerly non-combat pets, also known as companions, to become battle pets and battle each other for bragging rights, leveling, and addition of abilities. While this feature was not released until the Mists of Pandaria expansion was released, the expansion will not be required use the pet battle system and will be available to all players.
From the official World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria website:
- For years, your faithful vanity pets have accompanied you on countless adventures. They've provided you with comfort, company, sometimes even with entertainment and hours of fun. Maybe you only have a handful of pets you really love, or maybe you have made it your quest to capture as many of them as you can. The fact remains, heroes love their little companions... and in Mists of Pandaria, they will take the spotlight in a brand-new way.
Companions will now be able to battle each other in a new turn-based combat system to level up and unlock new abilities. Pets will also be able to encounter and battle pets in the wild to capture them for the player. Players will be able to fight with teams of pets up to 3 for each player at a time. Customization, progress status, abilities and info will be tracked in a new Pet Journal.
To get the highest percentage possible of participants, Blizzard has decided that players will not know the identity of players they are fighting against. This is to avoid trash-talking. Another way they are hoping to diminish the negativity involved in some aspects of PvP, they are also only recording wins.
In patch 5.3
- A “hit chance” will be listed for all abilities and this value will update if the pet is affected by abilities that increase or reduce the chance to hit
- The base 5% chance to dodge will be removed.
- The chance to miss opponents of higher levels from 5% per level to 2% per level.
- The base 5% chance to gain a critical strike (for 1.5x damage) will remain and +/- 10% damage variance on all abilities.
- The following basic attacks have had their damage increased by 5-15% and accuracy reduced by 5-15%:
Some more details were released during the March 2012 press event:
- A battle will feature a player and his 3 pets standing on each side of the screen, 1 pet will move towards the middle as the active combatant.
- On each turn, you can use 1 of the active pet's 3 abilities or swap to a different pet.
- Possibly 2 general abilities that you could use once per game.
- No record of your losses will be kept, only a running total of your victories.
- Name your pets.
- Each pet will have 6 possible abilities that you can unlock and pick 3 from for each fight.
- Pets have health, power, speed, which acts like an initiative roll, deciding who attacks first. :
- Pets are leveled individually and you unlock pet slots by earning achievements in pet battles.
- You will not see other players' names or be able to chat during pet battles.
- As of Beta build 15851, you should be able to learn at a level as low as 5.
Known limitations on pets that can be used for battle:
- Trading pets:
- Pets excluded from battle system:
- Battle Pet Trainers
- These NPCs teach players Battle Pet Training, granting the ability to fight and capture pets. The training comes with a pet heal/rez spell and the ability to track pets in the world. These trainers can be found in all the racial start zones as well as Orgrimmar and Stormwind. The guards in the capitals can direct you to them as well. Note that this training is account-wide, so you only need to learn it on one character.
- Pet Battle Training requires level 5 and 100.
- Master Pet Tamers
- These are NPCs for the battle pet questline. You can fight these characters in a pet battle for increased XP, achievements and rewards. Defeating the Grand Master on each continent will unlock daily quests (via an achievement) for all of the other Tamers on that same continent.
- Main article: Pet Journal
You will track all your battle pets via the Pet Journal and build teams to battle other player's pet teams. This will be the main UI for the system when not in battle.
Details from the Beta FAQ:
- Players can have up to 500 total pets and up to 3 versions of the same pet.
- Pets can be named, released, marked as favorite or put in a cage for trading/selling from the journal.
- Filters allow you to sort your collection by family, source, collected/not collected or favorites.
- Source info shows you where to obtain a pet and small lore blurb about it.
- Abilites loadouts for your pets are set in the journal. This becomes available on pets at level 10.
- View stats on your pets. Stats include Health, Speed, Power and Quality.
- Main article: Battle pet
- Account-Wide Pets
- Pets (companions) are now account-wide. This means that any pet you have on one character will be shared with all of the others on your Battle.net account. Earn level 6 with Grunty on character A? Log in character B and that level 6 Grunty will be there waiting for you.If you have multiple versions of the same pet on multiple characters on your account, they will be merged into one. We will place any extras in your bags or mail them to you if you are out of space.
- Pets are caught via PvE battles in the world. Any pet you can fight, you can catch. In order to catch a pet, you need to get it to low health and use your trap ability. Traps upgrade via specific achievements, improving your chance to catch higher level pets.
- You can catch up to three of the same type of pet.
- Pet Quality
- Pets that are captured in the world have varying levels of quality, just like an item would. The quality stat is randomly determined every time a pet spawns. Higher quality pets get a larger stat allotment each time you level. Be on the lookout for Rares!
- Pets on the AH
- Most pets can be bought and sold from the AH. A new section is on the AH specifically for this.
- Pets that are sold on the AH retain their stats and levels.
- Pets that can't be traded will display a warning in their info text as well as having the “Put in Cage” option disabled.
Battle pet family overview
- Aquatic - Aquatic attacks deal bonus damage to Elemental companions and less damage to Magic companions.
- Beast - Beast attacks deal bonus damage to Critter companions and less damage to Flying companions.
- Critter - Critter attacks deal bonus damage to Undead companions and less damage to Humanoid companions.
- Dragonkin - Dragonkin attacks deal bonus damage to Magic companions and less damage to Undead companions.
- Elemental - Elemental attacks do more damage to Mechanical companions and less to Critter companions.
- Flying - Flying attacks deal bonus damage to Aquatic companions and less damage to Dragonkin companions.
- Humanoid - Humanoid attacks do more damage to Dragonkin and less to Beast companions.
- Magic (not Mystical, or Mythical) - Magical attacks deal bonus damage to Flying and less damage to Mechanical companions.
- Mechanical - Mechanical attacks deal bonus damage to Beast companions and less damage to Elemental companions.
- Undead - Undead attacks do more damage to Humanoid companions and less to Aquatic companions.
Strengths and Weaknesses
Battle pet abilities
Battle pets will have abilities, just like player characters, but they will be more simplified, generally increase in effect based on battle pet level, and have specific strengths and weaknesses against other battle pet families.
Battle pet passive abilities
Basics from Beta FAQ:
- PvE battles take place in two ways: against NPC trainers and against pets that you can fight in the world. Pet tracking will let you find pets in the world that you can fight and capture. Keep an eye out!
- PvP battles also have two varieties. You can choose to duel another player or you can queue up and be matched against another player of similar skill. Note that you do not earn XP for duels.
- Pets heal a portion of their health after every fight. The amount healed is 50% of the damage that they took during the fight. You can also full heal all of the pets in your journal with the ω ϖ spell (10 min cooldown; 3 min warmup after login).
- If one of your pets die in battle you can resurrect it using the Revive Battle Pets spell or just find a friendly, neighborhood Stable Master.
How catching affects level:
- Catching any pet level 15 or under retains its current level.
- Catching a level 16-20 pet will lose 1 level.
- Catching a level 21-25 pet will lose 2 levels.
- The XP required to level for pets after level 10 has been dramatically reduced.
If your pet team prevails in combat, experience is awarded to all surviving pets that participated in combat. Pets that do not enter combat have no effect on the experience awarded. Similarly, pets that die in combat also have no affect on the experience awarded. The experience that dead pets would have received is not "lost". Instead, the system considers dead pets the same way as non-participating pets.
When you defeat an opposing pet, the experience awarded is calculated using this formula:
[opponent level + 9] X [level difference + 5]
The level difference is capped at +2, so there is no benefit to defeating an opponent more than 2 levels higher than your pet. If your pet is 5 or more levels higher than the opponent, it will receieve zero experience.
When your opponent is level 5 or higher, there will be two of them, and you recieve experience for each of them (200% normal experience). When your opponent is level 15 or higher, there will be three of them, and you receive full experience for the first two, and half experience for the third (250% normal experience).
The quality of the defeated pet does not affect experience gain, and you get full experience if you capture or defeat your opponent.
The experience awarded to each surviving pet is calculated by dividing the experience in the table below by the number of surviving pets:
|Pet level||Experience||-4 level||-3 level||-2 level||-1 level||Same||+1 level||+2 level|
Example 1: If one of your level 3 pets defeats a level 2 opponent, it will receive 48 experience.
Example 2: If you have three active pets of level 4, 5, and 9 that all survive a battle against a level 6 opponent, the experience awards would be as follows:
Your level 4 pet would receive (1/3)(91 x 2) = 61 experience.
Your level 5 pet would receive (1/3)(84 x 2) = 56 experience.
Your level 9 pet would receive (1/3)(36 x 2) = 24 experience.
Example 3: If two of your high level pets die in combat against a level 16 opponent, and your level 12 pet survives, the surviving pet would receive 147x2.5=367 experience.
There are two cases where this table is not accurate:
1) If your pets are different levels, the higher level pet will "steal" a few experience points from the lower level pet. You can ignore this becauswe usually only one or two eperience points are transferred, which is irrelevant.
2) If your pets are different level, at some point the entire team will be penalized. The penalty will be the equivalent of the opponent being one level lower, which is very significant (about 30% reduction in experience). Beyond about level 10, try to keep all of your pets the same level, unless you are power levelling a baby pet, in which case the experience penalty is worth paying.
Use the trainers and quests: At higher levels the experience grind is very slow. The fastest way to gain experience is to follow the quest line and defeat the trainers. Trainers award much more experience than opponents in the field. This means that you should maximize your experience from trainers, and avoid a situation where you waste the experience boost from lower level trainers by defeating them with a too high level team.
Do not waste time farming for many rare pets at low level: You will often capture the same pet at much higher level, and you will have to abandon the low level rare to make room for the higher level rare.
Plan your high level grind, not your low level grind: The first few levels are easy, it does not matter where you do them. At higher level, find a place with a nearby stable master to grind opponents that are equal or slightly weaker. The stable master is very important because higher level opponents will leave your team very weak, and you do not want to have to wait 8 minutes between each combat. For example, Winterspring is a good place to grind level 17 to 21 because there are many high level opponents available near to the Everlook stable master. Another good strategy is to grind using a herbalist and/or a miner, because you can make gold while you wait for the 8 minute cooldown.
Also while in the healing cooldown, don't be afraid to trade out the hurt pets for another one you intend to level later, then when you can heal, it heals all of your pets whether active or not. This way there isn't as much down time.
Old Beta info
From the Mists of Pandaria Beta.
- Fight pets around the world in solo, 2v2 and 3v3 battles.
- Capture pets in the world of varying quality and strength.
- Duel and queue for PvP battles against other players.
- Interact on an epic questline to defeat Master Pet Tamers across all of Azeroth.
- Buy and sell pets on the AH (not all pets are tradable, like wild caught pets).
- Earn a wide assortment of Pet Battle achievements and associated rewards.
- Browse the new Pet Journal and manage your pets.
- Use your pets across any character on your Battle.net account (Battle Pet achievements are account-wide).
- Pets are currently healing to full health after a battle. This is a known bug and hotfix planned soon.
- Pre-existing pets have no stats. Any pets that you acquire new are fine. This is also a bug to be hotifxed soon.
- In certain cases, starting a pet battle with a creature in the world will report an error about the pet being currently in battle, or that the account is locked. Both of these are hopefully on the hotfix list.
- Some pets will be missing abilites, ability FX or animations.
- The questline is very much work-in-progress.
- The XP curve being tuned so any feedback on this is appreciated.
- Spawn rates on pets in the world are WIP. Feedback on this is appreciated.
- An issue where players are sometimes losing a battle slot. A relog should fix the problem.
Upcoming in Beta
- Unique Tamer emotes.
- Unique Tamer pets.
- Tamer battles have been tuned up in difficulty.
- One Grand Master Tamer per continent. Defeating him/her will unlock all the daily's on that continent.
- The flow has been consolidated to work though our two main trainers in Stormwind and Orgrimmar.
- We have implemented more than 40 Tamer fights across the entire game. This does not include the boss fights!
- Daily quests on Grand Master Tamers offer the Sack of Pet Supplies as a reward.
- A new achievement reward for defeating all the Tamers. A "Tamer" title.
- All of the quests to fight Tamers are now account-wide. This means that the one-shot quests can only be completed by one character on your account. The daily's can be completed by any character, once per day. Account wide quests are denoted in the quest log.
- ^ Mumper (Cory Stockton) 2012-07-16. #9 - 5.0.3 or launch?. Official Mists of Pandaria Beta > Beta Pet Battles forum (US).
- ^ a b c Pet Battle System. Official World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria site (US).
Pet Battle System. Official World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria site (EU).
- ^ Nethaera 2011-10-21. World of Warcraft Preview Panel: Mists of Pandaria. Official BlizzCon site (US).
Nethaera 2011-10-21. World of Warcraft Preview Panel: Mists of Pandaria. Official BlizzCon site (EU).
- ^ a b "World of Warcraft: Intro to Mists of Pandaria" preview panel (featuring Tom Chilton, Game Director; Cory Stockton , Lead Content Designer; and Greg Street, Lead Systems Designer) at BlizzCon 2011
- ^ a b Zarhym 2011-10-28. Mists of Pandaria Developer Q&A Transcript. Official World of Warcraft Community site (US). Archived from the original on 2011-10-27.
Zarhym 2011-10-27. Mists of Pandaria Live Developer Q&A Transcript. Official World of Warcraft Community site (EU).
- ^ Mists of Pandaria 2012 Press Event. MMO-Champion. Retrieved on 2012-03-19.
- ^ Crithto 2013-04-05. Pet Battle Accuracy Changes in Patch 5.3. Official World of Warcraft Community site (US).
Blizzard Entertainment 2013-04-05. Pet Battle Accuracy Changes in Patch 5.3. Official World of Warcraft Community site (EU).
- ^ Josh Augustine 2012-03-19. Mists of Pandaria: Everything you need to know, page 4. PC Gamer.
- ^ Battle Pet Training. Wowhead. Retrieved on 2012-05-03.
- ^ a b Quintessence 2012-04-21. Pet Battles and Pet Trading Limitations. WarcraftPets.com.
- ^ a b Mumper (Cory Stockton) 2012-07-22. #8 - Comments: AH effect on Pet Battles and D3. Official Mists of Pandaria Beta > Beta Pet Battles forum (US). We just finished a pass making all pets that are caught via pet battles in the world non-tradeable. This means these pets cannot be put in cages for trading or posting on the AH. We felt that the option to buy these pets on the AH would take away from the exploration/collection gameplay of the system.
This could always change in a future patch, but this is how it will go out with MoP. You should see the change in our next build. (After build 15882.)
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j Mumper 2012-07-13. Pet Battles FAQ. Official Mists of Pandaria Beta > Beta Pet Battles forum (US).
- ^ Battle Pet Abilities. WoWDB. Retrieved on 2012-04-25.
- ^ a b Quintessence 2012-03-28. MoP Beta: New Pets, Wild Pets and More. WarcraftPets.com.
- ^ a b c d Ashelia 2012-04-19. Mists of Pandaria Pet Passives, Dynamic Quest Rewards, and 400,000 More Beta Invites. Wowhead News.
- ^ Magic. Wowhead. Retrieved on 2012-10-07.
- ^ Ashelia 2012-03-27. Mists of Pandaria Preview: Pet Battle Abilities, Wild Pet Locations, and More. Wowhead News.
- ^ Luci 2012-07-15. MoP Beta - Pet battle system insights. Wowjuju.
- ^ Boubouille 2012-04-25. Pet Battle System now on Beta Realms (Early Version). MMO Champion.
- ^ Mumper (Cory Stockton) 2012-08-04. #49 - Revive Battle Pets Exploit?. Official Mists of Pandaria Beta > Beta Pet Battles forum (US).
- ^ Mumper 2012-08-04. #14 - weakened by capture feedback. Official Mists of Pandaria Beta > Beta Pet Battles forum (US).
- ^ Mumper (Cory Stockton) 2012-07-23. #3 - Wild Pet Tamers? Dailes?. Official Mists of Pandaria Beta > Beta Pet Battles forum (US).
- Battle pet
- Celestial Tournament
- Pet battle
- Pet battle trainers
- Pet Journal
- Official info
- Other info