|This article or section is a miscellaneous stub. You can help expand it by editing it.|
A city portal is permanent version of the Portal spell used by mages that appears in a fixed spot in a city. They tend only to appear in cities possibly due to the potentially large power requirements. The exact mechanism of how they work is not known.
Most city portals connect to other cities, but some connect to well traveled points of interest.
Locations of city portals
Added in Burning CrusadeThis section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
- North alcove: Alliance capitals - Darnassus, Stormwind City, Ironforge
- South alcove: Horde capitals - Thunder Bluff, Orgrimmar, Undercity
- East alcove: Burning Crusade capitals - Exodar (Alliance), Silvermoon City (Horde)
- West alcove: Sun's Reach Sanctum, Isle of Quel'Danas
Added in Wrath of the Lich KingThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
- Stormwind City
- The Exodar
- Shattrath City
- Wintergrasp (when Alliance controls the zone)
- Thunder Bluff
- The Undercity
- Silvermoon City
- Shattrath City
- Wintergrasp (when Horde controls the zone)
Added in Patch 3.2
In Patch 3.2 all major cities added a portal to the blasted lands near the location of mage trainers. These portals lead to a ravine right in front of the Dark Portal. Further, portals to Stormwind and Orgrimmar were added on the other side of the Dark Portal. The result is that it is now possible to port from any city to Org/SW using the chain of portals in about 1-2 minutes.
- Wizard's Sanctum, Mage Quarter, Stormwind City
- The Mystic Ward, Ironforge
- Temple of the Moon, Darnassus
- The Vault of Lights, The Exodar
- Cleft of Shadow, Orgrimmar
- Spirit Rise near Pools of Vision, Thunder Bluff
- Magic Quarter, The Undercity
- Sunfury Spire, Silvermoon City
- Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): Portal areas in all major cities now offer a portal to the Blasted Lands near the Dark Portal.