|Cooldown||(GCD 1.5 sec)|
Pyroblast is a mage ability learned at level 10 for those with the Fire specialization. It deals massive fire damage with a large direct damage portion, then a damage over time portion. It can deal more single-target damage than any other mage spell, but at a higher cast time. Due to its long cast time, Pyroblast is usually used in conjunction with talents that periodically make it instant, such as .
- The DoT effect stacks with DoT effects from .
- The DoT does not stack on multiple Pyroblasts — it resets the timer instead.
- Pyroblast has a built-in mechanic that will periodically make it free, more deadly, and instant cast. This is contingent upon getting two single-target direct-damage Fire critical strikes in a row.
- Prior to the Cataclysm, the popular Three-Minute Mage used instant Pyroblast as its primary burst damage.
Due to the long cast time, this can be used to open battles when soloing. This is one of the few things a fire mage can do to improve mana efficiency; this spell has better DPM than Fireball but a DPS almost 2 times lower. Use of Pyroblast in a group is not recommended unless the tank has sufficient threat.
Mages that have this ability and combine the two to devastating effect; an instant heavy damage ball of fire. If used in this way, it is probably best to open with (for Snare or damage, depending on how target is vulnerable to Frost or Fire spells), activate Presence of Mind, and then cast Pyroblast. Since the DoT effect for each Pyroblast cast does not stack, it would probably not be worth opening with Pyroblast, followed by the instant Pyroblast.
Polymorph/Pyroblast: The standard opener of anyone who knows , this tactic is mostly seen in PvP. It works exactly as described: Polymorph the target, then cast Pyroblast. You Polymorph first so that the target cannot deal damage or interrupt your cast. Keep in mind that in PvP, many people will use various abilities to prevent Polymorph, so be ready to recast it. This is also useful in PvE questing where you pull two mobs: open on one mob with Pyroblast as normal, Polymorph the additional mob, finish off the first mob, and open on the sheeped second mob with Pyroblast.
The final set bonus of Netherwind Regalia gives you a 10% chance on Fireball cast to allow the next spell with casting time to be instant, just like Presence of Mind.
- Patch 5.2.0 (5-Mar-2013): Pyroblast has its direct damage reduced by 10%
- Patch 4.3.2 (31-Jan-2012): Pyroblast initial damage has been reduced by roughly 6%. Damage over time is unchanged.
- Patch 4.3.0 (29-Nov-2011): Pyroblast's initial damage has been increased by approximately 26%, and its damage over time has been increased by approximately 100%.
- Patch 4.2.0 (28-Jun-2011): Pyroblast cast when Hot Streak is not active was doing slightly less damage than the Hot Streak version. Its damage has been increased so that both versions of Pyroblast now do the same amount of damage.
- / Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010): Cast time has been reduced to 3.5 seconds.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): Cast time has been reduced to 5 seconds.
- Patch 1.11.0 (20-Jun-2006): Cooldown removed.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Pyroblast and Fireball damage over time will now stack together.