| This article or section is a Cataclysm stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
|Hacking the Wibson|
|Start||A.I.D.A. Terminal [74.1, 64.4]|
Requires Level 83
or 62774 at Level 90
- Wibson Mainframe hacked
It is true. New expedition crews have arrived by sea.
My scanners detect that they already have been afflicted by the curse phenomenon.
User <name>, I must ask you to hack a very sophisticated mainframe known as the "Wibson."
Do not worry, I will provide you with further instructions.
Greetings, user <name>.
I am in control, user <name>. But I cannot keep the core temperature stable indefinitely.
You will receive:
- 8 60
- 43900 XP
- Fly up to the top of the M.A.C. Diver. The Wibson Mainframe is across from the glowing Fusion Core. Immediately beside it is a toolchest with a inside it. Interact with the Wibson Mainfraime to hack at it, then go talk to the Fusion Core.
- Sometimes the Maintenance Axe will not show up in the toolbox; just abandon the quest and go pick it up again.
- The quest title "Hacking the Wibson" is a reference to the 1995 film Hackers, where actors Johnny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie must hack a corporate mainframe computer known as "The Gibson", itself a reference to author William Gibson, well known in the cyberpunk genre.
- The use of the axe on the computer is a reference to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy scene aboard the Heart of Gold, in which Zaphod Beeblebrox convinces Eddy the shipboard computer to do what he wants by saying "I'm going to get a very large axe, go to your memory banks and give you a programming you'll never forget."
Quest progression Edit
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.