|This article or section needs to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.|
|Stave of the Ancients|
|Start||Vartrus the Ancient|
|End||Vartrus the Ancient|
|Level||60 (Requires 60)|
You must find and destroy these four demonic corrupters:
Refer to the Petrified Bark in your inventory for clues as to their whereabouts.
You MUST complete this task by yourself.
Agents of the Burning Legion are still active in our world, <class>. These agents corrupt all that they touch. Nature wilts and weeps in their presence.
You must track down these demonic corrupters and destroy them, <name>. Be warned, you must engage them by yourself or they will flee. As long as you are alone, they will try and destroy you. You must strike at them, turning their arrogance into misery.
I grant you a piece of my bark, the inscriptions shall lead you to your targets. Retrieve their heads.
Do not be fooled by their disguises!
You have served us well, <name>! Take this stave and combine it with the bow string that Stoma is able to create. Together, they form a most formidable weapon.
Upon completion of this quest you will gain:
- 1000 XP
Many people think that if you can't kill these demons you are a bad hunter, WRONG. Three out of four of these fights show zero hunter skill (Artorius, on the other hand, is 100% skill) and rely mostly on your knowledge of the strategies and coming prepared with consumables. Once you get the EXACT strategy down, these fights are cake.
However, once you kill these demons, you will probably kite better, and be more able to switch between attacks quicker. Basically, you will be able to judge specific situations faster, and act accordingly
Best of luck!
- You MUST do this alone; that means no pets, nothing.
- You can get buffed, healed, ressed, etc., BEFORE you start the encounter with each demon.
- You CAN be in a party, just not in a raid (make sure! or else you won't be able to loot the head). But remember, if you're in a party, CHANGE LOOT TO FREE-FOR-ALL!!!
- Auras from other members of the party or their totems are usable, but highly not recommended; if you go out and in of the aura's range, they may be put on the demon's aggro list and the demon may despawn.
- Once spawned, you will have a 20 minute window to kill the deamon, after this time he will despawn for 15 minutes.
- Any class other than a hunter that goes within range of the demon's aggro will get blasted for a 5-10k AOE (once the demon has aggro on a hunter, however, other players of any class can get in range).
- You do NOT have to respec for the fights, but having certain talents will make it much easier.
- If you feel that you messed up or will not win the fight, FEIGN DEATH; it is rarely resisted by these demons.
- To make fights the easiest, get a full group that comprises a mage (for AI), priest (for fort, spirit, shadow protection on Solenor), druid (for mark of the wild), paladin (for blessing of wisdom).
- Use Rank 1 Arcane Shot to keep all the demons tagged. If you have the old Rare PvP set gloves, use those; they will reduce the arcane shot mana cost by 25, thus making each rank 1 shot 9 mana.
- If you do not tap the demon every 12 seconds or so, it will get "bored," deaggro, and run back to the start. Artorius is especially annoying for this reason.
- Some helpful buffs are recommended on all the demons, which include Fortitude, Arcane Intellect, Mark of the Wild, and a Demonslaying Potion.
- Major Mana Potion: If you don't know where/how to get these, you shouldn't have the leaf.
- Major Healing Potion: Ditto
- Whipper Root Tuber: You get these from a quest in Felwood that follows Cleansing Felwood.
- Night Dragon's Breath: These act like rejuvenation pots, giving back around 500 health and mana. You get them from the same repeatable quests as the Tubers. While on a separate timer from Healing/Mana Potions, they share a timer with the Tubers.
- Major Healthstone: If you've gotten this far, you know what this does.
- Demonic Rune: Give 1000-1500 mana at cost of 600-900 life. Have a 3 minute cooldown. Be careful here; only use this if you think you can spare the health, and remember that it can crit. >>Works on same timer as Major Healthstones<<
- Dark Rune: Same as Demonic Rune above, except these are tradable.
- Crystal Restore: You get these from completing a questline in Un Goro. It involves a lot of Power Crystal farming, but the effect is nice. It acts like a Rejuvenation spell, healing 670 health over 15 sec. >>Works on same timer as Major Healthstone<<
- Elixir of Demonslaying: These are a must for most battles, increasing your attack power by 265 against demons.
- Elixir of the Mongoose: Gives +25 Agi and +2% chance to crit for 1 hour.
- Ground Scorpok Assay: Gives +25 Agi (recent 1.11 patch nerfed all 5 types of Blasted Lands buffs), and stacks with Elixir of Mongoose.
- Nightfin Soup: Restores 8 Mana every 5 seconds for 10 minutes.
- Poached Sunscale Salmon: Restores 6 health every 5 seconds for 10 minutes. 
- Grilled Squid: Increases Agility by 10 for 10 minutes.
- Other Elixirs, like Brute Force and Sages can be useful, but those aren't as necessary or crucial as other consumables.
- Mana oil for your weapons; you WILL run out of mana on Solenor.
This is a more specific look at how other classes fit into these fights as helpers. The hunter can solo ALL of the demons, but taking advatage of the attributes and abilities of other classes makes the fights much easier. Everyone can help to clear and deter other players, but here are some more specific roles:
- Rogue: Just moral support, not much else a rogue can do for you.
- Warrior: Possibly a battle shout right before battle, but it isn't that huge.
- Hunter: Trueshot Aura or Aspect of the Wild (for Simone), but as stated above, not recommended.
- Priest: Buffs before battle, Rezzing. Fortitude and Spirit buffs are especially nice. Debuff cleansing for Artorius, if your attempt fails. Also consider using Prayer of Shadow Protection for Solenor.
- Mage: Buffs before battle, especially Arcane Intellect. Also, food and water help a lot between fights.
- Druid: Buffs before battle, especially Mark of the Wild.
- Warlock: Major Healthstones. Used to cast Curse of Recklessness (rank 1) on the hunter in order to ward against fear, used for Solenor in Silithus.
- Paladin: Buffs before battle, Rezzing. Blessing of Wisdom and Blessing of Kings are especially useful.
- Shaman: Buffing totems, Rezzing. (Attack totems work like pets and will despawn the demon, make sure the shaman does not use any.) Your life is much easier with a shaman for Solenor in Silithus.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): The Hunter Epic quest has had some of its Demonic Corrupters retuned. It should also be noted that Hunters that attempt to bypass the single player portion of the encounter by using another class to do their tasks will fail the quest in a most glorious fashion.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Added.