|Location||Marksmanship, Tier 3|
|Affects||Rapid Fire, Aimed Shot, Arcane Shot, Chimera Shot, Rapid Recuperation|
Rapid Killing is a passive hunter talent found in the Marksmanship tree. In addition to reducing the cooldown of Rapid Fire, the talent grants a buff which increases the hunter's next Aimed Shot, Arcane Shot or Chimera Shot used within 20 seconds after landing the killing blow on an enemy that would normally yield honor or experience. While the extra damage can be situationally useful, especially while leveling, the cooldown reduction is the reason most hunters take the talent. The talent is also a requirement for gaining the full benefit of the Rapid Recuperation talent.
|Rank||Rapid Fire cooldown||Damage bonus|
- Rapid Recuperation causes you to gain 6% of your maximum mana over 6 seconds every time you gain Rapid Killing.
The true value of this talent may not be immediately obvious, but the real benefit is that it reduces the cooldown on Rapid Fire to that of Readiness, allowing the two to be used together every time they are up. With this talent, you can use Rapid Fire, Readiness, Rapid Fire every three minutes. Without the talent, you need to either use Readiness to refresh Rapid Fire before it is ready (causing you to lose out on one whole Rapid Fire) or save your Readiness for two minutes to use it together with Rapid Fire. When dealing damage in a raid, where fights normally last more than three minutes, this talent will significantly boost the damage you can do by allowing you to use Rapid Fire more often.
Rapid Killing also increases the value of the Rapid Recuperation talent, by granting you 6% of your total mana every time you kill a worthy target if you have both talents. Note that the triggered mana regeneration effect is independent from the Rapid Killing damage bonus buff, and that you will gain the full amount of mana even if you fire a shot right away.
Tips and tactics
- While the bonus damage on your next shot is not the reason this talent is taken for PvE DPS, the damage bonus can still be put to good use. If you use Kill Shot to "steal" killing blows on targets, you will (in addition to the high damage dealt by Kill Shot) significantly increase the damage of your next shot. Since the buff lasts 20 seconds, you do not have to use a single target shot right away. This is especially useful in AoE situations where you are mainly using Volley but still want to "snipe" targets with Kill Shot for maximum damage.
- Since Chimera Shot deals the most damage of all the shots affected by this talent, and so should ideally be your next shot fired after killing a target.
- This talent can be somewhat inconvenient while leveling, as the extra damage makes it more likely that you pull aggro off your pet. You can avoid this, and even turn it to your advantage, by using Misdirection once you get it.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): This will now proc off Chimera Shot, but no longer works with auto-shot.