PvP also refers to PvP realms, which are realms where open combat happens much more often since around level 20 players will be pushed into adventuring in contested territories. By level 30, pretty much all your leveling will be done in contested territories. See PvP flag for more information.
Pros and Cons of PvP realms
- Some players like the thrill and risk of random player vs. player combat, and would consider PvE servers to have a difficulty that is too low.
- The danger of PvP inserts more realism into gameplay, since preventing other players from attacking you represents more a pure game mechanic than any plausible scenario.
- Opportunities for world PvP are much more prevalent.
- If you dislike Alliance-favored population imbalance, research has shown that the population of PvE realms are much more prone to be Alliance weighted, with population ratios often hovering around 2:1. PvP realms are more often 1:1.
- Some players consider being able to play with no risk of random player vs. player combat less stressful. You can level and train skills without the types of interruptions listed below.
- Such disruptive practices like corpse camping, griefing, ganking can be exceedingly prevalent on PvP realms, many high level players may repeatedly and incessantly engage in these behaviors for no obvious reason other than that they can.
- Priests with , shamans with , druids with , warlocks with felash or carrion swarm and mages with can knockback you off cliffs and boats. Sometimes, in rare cases, the death knight's can pull players to their doom.
PvP realm changes in Mists of PandariaThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Guards were weakened and have an increased re-spawn timer on PvP realms to encourage more world PvP.
- The section below will not be transcluded.
- ^ Nethaera 2012-06-05. The Future of PvP in Mists of Pandaria. Official World of Warcraft Community site (US). Tom Chilton - We know that for many PvPers, the idea of getting a large raid (or two) together to invade a city is something that can make for great world PvP. We also know that there has been an issue with guards causing this to be a less appealing undertaking for them as the guards have gotten stronger. We obviously want those guards there doing their jobs, but we don’t want them to be the wall that you just can’t get over. So, we are planning to adjust the guards only on PvP realms to where they aren’t quite as strong as you’d find them on a PvE realm, and they won’t respawn quite as quickly either. We’re still working on this, but we hope to get this adjustment in before the release of Mists of Pandaria. It’s worth noting that the guards on PvE realms will remain the same as they are now.