- Were you looking for Rend Blackhand?
|Improved Rend, Blood Frenzy|
|Requirements||Melee Weapon, Battle Stance, Defensive Stance|
- "I gave him a choice: die piece by piece, or all at once." — Gorebelly 
Rend is a damage over time ability. It is an instant cast, so it doesn't replace a normal attack. It is also one of the few warrior attacks that isn't mitigated by enemy armor. It is available only in Battle and Defensive Stances.
Even without investing in talents to improve it, Rend is a very rage-efficient attack. Investments in Improved Rend and Blood Frenzy makes it shine even brighter. It's disadvantages are partly that it loses efficiency if the target dies before the Rend has completed it's duration. Also, Rend can not be used in Berserker Stance.
Rend will be available at level 7.
In addition to the base damage, Rend will deliver extra damage depending on how hard the weapon hits. The formula looks a bit complicated, but it basically calculates the average weapon damage modified for attack power and takes a fraction of this:
Weapon Speed x Attack Power 743 Extra damage = ( --------------------------- + Average Weapon Damage ) x Duration x ------ 14 300000
Note, The DPS of the weapon isn't the most important factor. It's much more important that the weapon is slow.
Example: Wally the warrior has an attack power of 1400, and he uses a Rend with a duration of 21 seconds. When he uses The Unstoppable Force (Speed 3.8, average damage 233½) his rends will do 32 points additional damage. When he uses Widow's Remorse (Speed 1.6, average damage 100½) his rends will only do 13 points of additional damage, even though Widow's Remorse has a slightly higher DPS-rating than the Unstoppable Force.
Tips and Tactics
Related talents and glyphs
- Improved Rend (Rank 1 arms talent) - increases bleed damage done by 10/20%
- Taste for Blood (Rank 4 arms talent) - chance at a 'free' use of Overpower
- Trauma (Rank 6 arms talent) - increases the effectiveness of bleed effects
- Blood Frenzy (Rank 9 arms talent) - causes Rend and Deep Wounds to increase physical damage caused to target by 2/4%
- Glyph of Rending (Major glyph) - increases rend duration by 6 seconds.
- / Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010): Available at level 7.
- Patch 3.0.3 (04-Nov-2008): Damage has been adjusted to be less base and more weapon based. Ranks 9 and 10 now do 35% more damage when the target is above 75% health instead of 4 times damage when the target is enraged.
- Patch 1.1.0 (07-Nov-2004): Now available in Battle and Defensive Stance, damage slightly increased on some ranks.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Damage reduced. Changed to an instant ability.