|Ritual of Summoning|
|Cooldown||2 min (GCD 1.5 sec)|
Ritual of Summoning is a core warlock ability learned at level 42. It is designed to summon absent party members to the warlock's location by creating a Meeting Stone. The spell requires that two additional party members be present, who can be of any class.
The warlock begins by casting Ritual of Summoning, which opens a portal. Two present party members then right-click on the portal and must not move until the ritual is complete.
Once the Meeting Stone is summoned, it will be available for 5 minutes and can be used to summon as many party or raid members as needed.
Summoning can be accepted while in flight, but not while in combat. If summoned players drop out of combat during the two-minute time period, they can still accept the summoning; the accept button is merely grayed out until then. A player can also accept a summon after the meeting stone vanishes, provided the initial summon was cast within the last 2 minutes of the meeting stone being active.
Note that referring to a warlock's summon or summoning as a "summons" is incorrect; a "summons" relates to court proceedings. As of 2014 Azeroth doesn't use courts, at least not courts that use a summons; just large guards with bonking equipment. Refer to the service/process as a "summon" or "summoning," and make sure to chastise anyone saying "summons" with a wagging finger and smiling snark.
The targeted player will be teleported to the location where the portal appeared.
Players can target themselves as the summoning target in order to quickly hearth, repair, and then return to the spot where the ritual was performed. This works inside of an instance as long as the warlock meets the requirements for the instance.
The Meeting Stone can summon from anywhere in Azeroth or Outland to wherever the warlock is, whether it be in Azeroth, Outland, or inside the warlock's instance; however, the summoned player must be within the minimum level restriction of the instance.
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 4.0.6 (8-Feb-2011): Ritual of Summoning should no longer yield graphical issues with the created portal.
- / Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010): The cost of casting is changed from 12% of base mana to 4% mana, the spell changed from instant cast to channeled. Now learnable at level 42 instead of level 20.
- Patch 3.1.0 (14-Apr-2009): The summoning of the initial portal is now instant cast, down from 5 seconds.; This spell can no longer be cast while on a transport or other moving object.
- Patch 3.0.8a (2009-01-27): Will now function as intended.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Will now create a summoning portal object which can be re-used for multiple summons for 5 minutes.
- Patch 2.4.3 (2008-07-15): The mana cost of this spell will now be properly deducted when cast.
- Patch 2.4.0 (25-Mar-2008): Ritual of Summoning can be used to summon players into instances if they meet the instance requirements.
- Patch 1.6.0 (12-Jul-2005): Fixed a bug where players could be summoned from outside the same instance as the warlock in some cases.
- Patch 1.3.0 (07-Mar-2005): You can no longer accept a warlock summoning while you are in combat.