The Ruins of Mathystra are located in northern Darkshore, just past the Tower of Althalaxx. Mathystra used to be a night elven city before the Great Sundering, but it was utterly decimated by the destruction of the Well of Eternity, and has long since been abandoned by the night elves in favor of the smaller coastal villages further south.
The ancient ruins were inhabited by the Stormscale Naga, who aggressively guarded the ruins against any intrusions from outside sources. The ruins contain scattered relics of the old Highborne, and young adventurers from the Alliance are sent out in an attempt to search through Mathystra in search of these relics.
CataclysmThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
the Stormscale Naga have been thrown out off the ruins and replaced by the invading Shatterspear Trolls, who have overrun the place and started a large excavate operation among the ruins in search for artifacts. Alarmed by this new threat, the Night elves have established a small forward camp[60, 24] next to the ruins, wich serves as a small quest hub for Alliance adventures in the nearby area.
- Quest givers
- (previously found west of Ameth'Aran)
- The WoW manual shows the Blackfathom Deeps entrance here (it was located here during alpha), and a ruined structure identical to the current entrance with no purpose can be found here.
- Ghost Saber can be found here.
- Cat Figurines can be found around the ruins.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Naga removed, Shatterspear Trolls added, Night Elf camp with NPC's: added