Snare effects are a form of crowd control that reduce a victim's movement speed, preventing him from effectively maneuvering in combat. There are 2 types of snares: area-based snares, such as Frost Trap or Earthbind Totem, and debuff-based snares (also called Slows), such as Crippling Poison or Piercing Howl. It is most useful to ranged classes when fighting opponents who only possess melee attacks, allowing them to kite the opponent. Snares are also useful to prevent enemies from fleeing to safety or running for help (in instances especially).
Examples of abilities that cause a snare effect:
|Death Knight|| Chains of Ice|
Frost Fever (with Chillblains)
|Druid||Feral Charge (Cat form)|
|Hunter|| Wing Clip|
Cone of Cold
|Paladin||Judgement of Justice (Rank 2) (though not technically classified as a snare in game mechanics)|
|Rogue|| Crippling Poison|
|Shaman|| Frost Shock|
|Warlock||Curse of Exhaustion|
Snare debuffs do not stack. Instead, the debuff that gives the most movement speed reduction takes precedence. If any lesser snare is applied while a greater snare is active, it will not be applied, even if the greater snare will expire sooner.
- Items that can dispel snare effects:
- Hunter pets of hunter's with the Bestial Wrath talent are immune to snares.
- The Paladin spell Blessing of Freedom will also grant immunity to snares, however it will not work on daze type snares.
- The Druid may remove almost all forms of snare by shifting into one of their animal forms.
- The gnome racial ability Escape Artist will dispel any current snares.
- The rogue talent Improved Sprint on the combat tree removes impairing effects when activating Sprint.
- Enhancement shaman talent Earthen Power remove all snare effects from the shaman and nearby friendly targets when it pulses.
- Enhancement shaman with Feral Spirit can remove snares using Spirit Walk.
- As of 3.0.8 the Warlock ability Demonic Circle: Teleport will remove all current snares.
- Furthermore, if the snare is a dispellable type, such as magic debuff, poison or curse, it can be removed with spells, abilities and items which remove those specific debuffs.