|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft due to the devastating Cataclysm.|
*The in-game information in this article is kept purely for historical purposes and may not need to remain under any other categories.
- See Soul Shards for the resource and new system introduced for Affliction warlocks in World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria or Soul shard for the resource system introduced for all warlocks in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.
Acquiring shards Edit
Soul Shards could be obtained by channeling the Drain Soul spell on a mob or a player from which the caster gains experience or honor by killing. If the mob dies while under the effect of Drain Soul, the player is granted a Soul Shard. The warlock talent skill Shadowburn requires the use of a Soul Shard when cast; however, if the target dies within five seconds and yields experience or honor, the player gains a Soul Shard back. These skills can be used in PvP.
The following spells used to consume a shard when successfully cast:
Players previously used soul bags to specifically hold Soul Shards in. Their benefit was that they were larger than comparative generic containers, and they automatically sorted all incoming Soul Shards to that bag. Their icon on the container bar had the number of shards remaining displayed upon it.
Soul Shards were refunded to the player if their pet despawned under the following circumstances, providing that the pet required a Soul Shard to be summoned:
- If the player and their pet become seperated by too great a distance.
- Zoning under certain circumstances.
- When the player chooses to relearn their talents at a class trainer.
- When the player switches from one talent specialization to another using Dual Talent Specialization.
Patch changes Edit
- / Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010): Soul Shards have been removed from the game as items. Instead, they now exist as a resource system necessary for using, or altering the mechanics of certain spells.
- Patch 3.1.0 (14-Apr-2009): This item now has a maximum count of 32 in inventory.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Honorable kills will now generate a Soul Shard when Drain Soul and Shadowburn are used.