|This article or section is likely to dramatically change once the Mists of Pandaria begins.|
Tabard refers to a type of clothing bearing a symbol or design and worn in the tabard equipment slot over a character's chest armor. It was once a purely cosmetic item intended to add individuality to a character's look, similar to a shirt, but in Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm, many tabards resulted in reputation bonuses.
Historically, a tabard serves both as a sleeveless shirt or coat (often over armor), and as a means of displaying heraldry (as livery). For players, it can show membership in a guild or (for roleplay purposes) allegiance to a particular group, boast of deeds performed, or simply be decorative.
The only tabard available to players upon the release of World of Warcraft was the guild tabard. The release of battlegrounds and the honor system saw a variety of new tabards introduced, identifying a player's rank or standing with a particular battleground faction. The Scourge Invasion also added a small number of tabards. In World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, each faction in Outland was given its own tabard, available at exalted status. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King continues this trend, but has lower (or no) reputation requirements and instead utilizes faction tabards in a system known as championing for farming reputation.
Patch 3.0 introduced the achievement system, which includes rewards for tabard collectors. Upon obtaining a tabard, a general achievement called "Represent" is granted; subsequent achievement points are granted at ten and twenty-five tabards, with the latter granting the Tabard of the Achiever. There is no current plan to alleviate the amount of bag space taken up by tabards as has been done with mount and non-combat pet collections (which grant similar achievements), but Blizzard has said it is a possibility in the future. However, keeping tabards is not required for the achievement; only equipping them. You can equip and sell or delete each tabard as you get it, and it will still count toward the achievement. Some tabards can be discarded and repurchased or reacquired at a tabard vendor. These generally include rewards from non-repeatable quests and achievements (such as the ).
There are, generally, two types of vendor that tabards can be purchased from.
Tabards associated with a faction are almost always available from the Quartermasters for that faction.
Visitor's Centers in most major cities have tabard vendors who sell Guild tabards. They also sell:
These additional tabards have the same purchase restrictions and costs from the visitor's center vendor as they do from the relevant quartermaster.
Killing level-appropriate mobs in instances will yield 15 faction per kill while wearing an appropriate tabard. High level characters in newbie zones yields 3 faction for trash mobs, 60 for bosses. (Will you get more faction per mob at 70 killing in Strath than in Ragefire?)
You can go all the way to max exalted through the use of tabards. Thus, it's worthwhile to pick up the tabards from each city and switch once you max out one. You'll get to exalted in all eventually.
| <Darnassus Quartermaster>|
| <Bilgewater Cartel Quartermaster>|
| <Exodar Quartermaster>|
in the Exodar.
| <Darkspear Quartermaster>|
| <Gilneas Quartermaster>|
| <Orgrimmar Quartermaster>|
| <Gnomeregan Quartermaster>|
| <Silvermoon City Quartermaster>|
just south of Silvermoon City.
| <Ironforge Quartermaster>|
| <Thunder Bluff Quartermaster>|
in Thunder Bluff.
| <Stormwind Quartermaster>|
| <Undercity Quartermaster>|
In Mists of PandariaThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Guild tabards can be purchased for 8 from a tabard designer/vendor in the Visitor's Center of any faction capital city. Guild leaders can customize the symbol and color scheme of the guild's tabard for 10.
See below for web-based tabard design tools.
Honor rank tabards
- is blue with a gold lion design on the front of it, essentially what Stormwind guards wear.
- is red (more accurately a very deep orange) with the Horde's emblem and white trim.
Similarly, these tabards are now purchasable for 100 Honor points.
Battleground tabards can be obtained at various reputation with each faction through vendor purchase or quest completion. These tabards have a unique appearance.
- has a red backdrop with golden trim, with the emblem of a spear with a golden bolt at the bottom.
- has a blue backdrop with white trim, bearing a wolf's head at the center, with a crude shield covering it, both made out of blue and white, and with ice-colored and shaped symbols signifying the cold of Alterac Valley.
The Tabard of Conquest is awarded to players who complete the achievement.
- , , , , , , , and are rewards from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game.
- drops from Scarlet Trainees in the Scarlet Monastery Armory after Herod is killed.
- and are rewards from [70D] during the Midsummer Fire Festival.
Past event tabards
These tabards were available for a limited time, and cannot be obtained currently. Some of these tabards may be reacquired from tabard vendors if the player had previously owned them.
- was a reward from the Spirit of Competition event.
- was a reward from the Test of Honor Contest.
- was purchasable for 10 from the Argent Outfitter during the Scourge Invasion.
- was a reward from  during the Before the Storm event. It has the same appearance as the Tabard of the Argent Dawn, above.
Burning Crusade tabardsThis section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
Unless otherwise stated, exalted reputation with the respective faction is needed to purchase their tabard. These faction tabards are purchased from the faction's quartermaster for 1, 90 after discount.
- is a reward from the Blood Elf Paladin's epic mount quest chain.
- is a reward from the Draenei starting zones' quest chain.
- and are rewards for completing the [70G] in Shadowmoon Valley.
Wrath of the Lich King tabardsThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
- is an Achievement reward for the achievement The Loremaster.
- is an Achievement reward for winning 300 ranked arena matches.
- is an Achievement reward for the achievement Twenty-Five Tabards.
- is purchasable from the Argent Crusade with Friendly reputation.
- is purchasable from the Knights of the Ebon Blade with Friendly reputation.
- is a Achievement reward for the achievement Explore Northrend.
- is purchasable from the Kirin Tor with Friendly reputation.
- is purchasable from the Wyrmrest Accord with Friendly reputation.
The Argent Tournament tabards are available from each faction once you become their Champion. They used to cost 50 Champion's Seals (in ), but now cost only 10 (as of ).
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Sen'jin. Used to be called in .
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Darnassus.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of the Exodar.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Gnomeregan.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Ironforge.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Stormwind.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Orgrimmar.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Silvermoon City.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Thunder Bluff.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Undercity.
These tabards still cost 50 Champion's Seals.
- will warp you to the Argent Tournament Grounds.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament when Exalted with the Silver Covenant.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament when Exalted with the Sunreavers.
Cataclysm tabardsThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
- Need images of these tabards for gallery.
- sold by <Baradin's Wardens Quartermaster> for 40 .
- sold by <Hellscream's Reach Quartermaster> for 40 .
- sold by in Uldum for 90.
- sold by in Twilight Highlands for 1.
- sold by in Shimmering Expanse for 1.
- sold by in Mount Hyjal for 1.
- sold by in Twilight Highlands for 90.
- sold by in Deepholm for 90.
- is purchasable from <Bilgewater Cartel Quartermaster> in Orgrimmar for 10.
- is purchasable from <Gilneas Quartermaster> in Darnassus for 10.
These tabards are worn by NPCs but cannot be obtained by players, though some can be approximated with certain guild tabard designs.
Although shields are often used to display heraldry, they have more than cosmetic purpose in the game. Not all characters can wield a shield, and the attributes of a shield are intrinsically linked to the appearance of that shield. For roleplay purposes, tabards are superior in that all characters can wear one, and they have no effect upon other abilities of that character.
- ^ Lylirra 2010-12-02. #9 - City Tabards and BC Dungeons. Official Community > General Discussion forum (US).
- ^ Taepsilum 2012-08-02. #9 - Transmogrify Tabards!. Official Gameplay > General forum (EU).
- ^ perculia 2012-07-20. News Round Up: MoP Tabard Preview, Character Transfer Sale, PTR Soon. Official forum (US).
- ^ Although the actual tabard is not obtainable, you can appear to wear one by wearing ; a cloth chest armor that drops randomly from Dalaran NPCs in Silverpine Forest. Only Horde can obtain the robe, as these NPCs are Friendly to Alliance. However, they can be sold at neutral Auction Houses. In addition, the is available for sale.
- ^ a b This particular Scarlet Crusade tabard is unobtainable. It is worn by many of the higher ranking members of the organization. The , which is worn by the lowest-ranking members of the Crusade, is obtainable. See the Other tabards section above.
- ^ There is a tabard similar to this that can be obtained through the Argent Tournament.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Tabards from Icecrown vendors now available for 8 (at Exalted) instead of 50 .
- Patch 4.0.3 (15-Nov-2010): City faction tabards now available from city quartermasters in their respective cities for 10 (8 at Exalted).
- Patch 3.1.0 (14-Apr-2009): City faction tabards added with Argent Tournament for 50 from Argent quartermasters.
- Beta News