Add's Phase 1 -> Phase 2Edit
Suppose we decided to keep each Add alive during phase 1, and AoE them down in Phase 2. Would the adds from Phase 1 effectively burn 3% of Al'ar's health in Phase 2? Xer01 02:18, 16 August 2007 (UTC)
- Yes, this is the way my guild does it. We have 2 tanks doing rotations among the 4 platforms, and 2 tanks doing "relay": bringing adds from where Al'ar was to a 5th tank (who is soulstoned). The tank basically holds them all there while our melee DPS (rather than running from platform to platform) DPS the adds down to ~15-20%. As soon as the transition to Phase 2 is made and Al'ar is picked up, all spell DPS (AoE, primarily) shifts to taking down the adds. It costs a bit more (for the poor 5th tank who has a slightly bigger repair bill now), but takes a huge chunk out of Al'ar's life. SaladFork 04:04, 17 March 2008 (UTC)
Changing as Keal'Thases Phoenix Edit
I'm thinking of removing the part about being Kael'thases Phoenix since we know its name thanks to his quote for summoning Phoenix
Adds .. and 3% health? Edit
My guild downed Al'ar recently. We did our best to kill the adds in Phase 2 with our melee, just to lessen the load on the healing. I don't think we noticed the adds causing the boss to lose 3% of his health. Can anyone confirm the current wiki report?
---Adds do lower his health by 3%. However, there is a catch: if Al'ar is currently up in the air about to do meteor, killing an add will have no affect. Teejayos 18:33, 11 July 2007 (UTC)
---Also note, it's 3% of current health, not 3% of max health. Mattlistener 04:53, 11 October 2007 (UTC)
---This has now been altered. Can anyone say which of these two is correct? Demistaker 02:05, 30 January 2008 (UTC)
Pulls to either side? Edit
I've only ever seen him go to the west side on the pull, out of maybe 7-10 pulls. Its certainly possible this is just luck, but assuming a 50% chance of either side, there's a less than 1% chance that I'd always see him go to one side on 7 pulls in a row.
Unless anybody can confirm that they've definitely seen him go to the right side on the pull, I'll change that. Putridstench 01:37, 18 September 2007 (UTC)
I'm gonna fix this now since nobody reported seeing him go to the east, and we just attempted him a bunch more times and witnessed him ALWAYS going west.
Thanks, PS -- when I cleaned up Phase I, I wasn't sure about this so I left it as it was. Strand 21:48, 24 September 2007 (UTC)
For Allah the Phoenix GodEdit
Heya, Al'ar's name being in any way connected to the Allah seems totally wild to me, especially with the "r" at the end of the name. I figured there should at least have been a comment by a Blizzard before noting it in this article. The two beings seem entirely unrelated also. Anyone agree? -- Raze 00:54, 21 September 2007 (UTC)
- Get rid of it. I actually saw the name (or one pretty close to it) in a recent book I read, but don't ask me to find it. XD --Sky (t · c · w) 04:22, 21 September 2007 (UTC)
- Totally wild? They're pronounced almost identically unless you're putting huge, huge emphasis on the 'r'. The name also includes the word "God" ... 15:52, 21 September 2007 (UTC)
Flame Quill Edit
I watched 2 videos, and today we had our first 6 tries. And as i read in another guide, she only ever uses the flame quill after leaving platform 1 or 4. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Tifi 22:43, 9 October 2007 (UTC)
- This is wrong. Jackstrom 21:08, 11 October 2007 (UTC)
- You're right, she did a Flame Quill on our last kill after leaving platform 3. I reverted my changes. Didn't see her do it after leaving platform 2 (yet). Maybe there's a minimum of platform switches she has to do before she does a Flame Quill. Tifi 16:35, 25 October 2007 (UTC)
AoEing Saved Adds Edit
The article says that an alternative strategy can be used to save up many, many adds, and then AoE them down to take out an instant 20%~ of Al'ar's health, with the warning a tank can die. This is doable just as easily by single targeting, thus avoiding the very likely death of your tank altogether. Should we really suggest an alternative strategy that allows a tank to die? --Furi, January 03, 2008.
- Should take into consideration that AoEing will do a lot more DPS than single target. It also mentions that the tank has a fairly good chance to survive, especially if one dies a couple seconds earlier. That explosion will literally fling you across the entire room, without a wall in the way. Being a valid (yet risky) strategy, it should be kept. Personally, I'd never do this, since there's really no reason to. My guild's never run into the enrage timer, and I suspect any guild that can do Void Reaver will be fine. —Pzychotix (talk · contr) 14:03, 4 January 2008 (UTC)
Al'ar's Gender Edit
A number of players have stated that Al'ar is female, though no official evidence is apparent.
Wouldn't the name <Phoenix God> imply that Al'ar is a male, rather than a female goddess? --Furi, January 09, 2008
- I think it has kids that are trash mobs, but I have no evidence and it could be the mother or father.-- 20:33, 14 January 2008 (UTC)
Upon looking at the page, it might be best to refer to it as Al'ar or it, or remove any reference to gender at all. Stoptherobots 19:50, 18 January 2008 (UTC)
Ya, using "it" would probably work best. It is good choice for most elementals as gender is relatively never known. 'He' can also work as generic term in place of not knowing the genders.Baggins 20:04, 18 January 2008 (UTC)
Edgeworth: If Al'ar has kids, then Kael's pet phoenix is female. Very simple, really, as male pregnancy for most animals is biologically impossible. Garm 20:08, 18 January 2008 (UTC)
- Actually for elementals, they don't act like "mammals", "birds", or other other "animals". They aren't even considered "animals" but magical elemental creatures/constructs. You can find quite a few "male" elementals that have "spawn" but are definitely called male. Elementals can often split in a fashion similar to mitosis creating other elementals. Its also said that apparently all phoenixes are capable of laying eggs, infact if they die they often lay an egg that creates a new clone of them (I.E rise out of the ashes of the old).
- In classical mythology as far as I can tell, because all phoenixes in legend are capable of reproducing by essentially cloning themsevles if they die, they are usually all described as genderless creatures. They are also consistently treated at "its" in the articles about them in the warcraft sources as well.Baggins 23:40, 18 January 2008 (UTC)
- Its really quite silly and plain dumb to try to apply real world biology to a complete magical fantasy creature...Baggins 20:17, 18 January 2008 (UTC)
- ...especially since in WoW all creatures are females......unless you see "evidence" of otherwise. User:Coobra/Sig3 23:45, 18 January 2008 (UTC)
?... All creatres are "females" huh? Is that sarcasm, or a joke?Baggins 01:33, 19 January 2008 (UTC)
- Well...at least all the beasts are females.........there's nothing down below......you know what I'm talking about...Of course I'd be worried if bliz actually did make the beast models contain both sexes lol. User:Coobra/Sig3 02:06, 19 January 2008 (UTC)
Garm: So since my father has children, that makes him female? The article is fixed and correct as it is with no references to gender, even though we could logically call him male because he is labeled as a God. Stoptherobots 04:19, 22 January 2008 (UTC)
What does that print out if you target Al'ar? Tifi 00:04, 25 January 2008 (UTC)
Ranged DPS Edit
So in Phase 1 when all the ranged in the bottom, I've noticed it helps to move between the positions so when he moves, you don't have to. The way I do this is when I'm using anything that's instant cast, I move towards that zone. When he gets to the last position, I move more and more towards the center. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by NarakuFortunato (talk · contr).
Warcraft 3 phoenix Edit
Is this the same phoenix that kael'thas can summon in warcraft 3? LKHighlord 11:14,11 may 2008 (UTC)
- Most probably, yes, but nothing is certain. Xavius, the Satyr Lord (talk) 16:01, 11 August 2008 (UTC)
Misdirect failing Edit
Has anyone else seen where you MD one of the embers to the tank, you plink it for 4k damage in the three shots... and it still totally ignores that and goes for someone else? We just tried Al'ar several times on my hunter, and they seemed to be ignoring MD re[eatedly. --Azaram (talk) 02:45, 14 October 2008 (UTC)