- Past discussions archived to...
- ...Talk:Varian Wrynn/Archive01 Archived 00:42, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
Honestly the entire article should now be cleaned up. Both the biography and the comic synopses should be merged into a single biography to remove the repetition in the content. There is no need to have two biographies. There is also no reason to have sections based on individual issues now that everything has been released. It can all be set up chronologically. Also there is no reason to discuss the flashbacks as flashbacks they could be inserted into where they take place chronologically, with only a nod that he a flash back to that point in time in later sections.Baggins (talk) 02:39, 21 February 2009 (UTC)
- I think the article is starting to shape up fairly well. It looks a lot nicer than all of the other city leader's imo. Tevri (talk) 11:22, 25 April 2009 (UTC)
- Note that as of April 29th, I am removing the "cleanup" tag. As said in my edits, I think that the article is leaps and bounds better than it was when the tag was put there. While I'm sure there are small things that could be fixed up, I don't think it warrants the tag any longer. Especially with how the Thrall and other racial leaders have been as of late (for example). We have sources cited, we have accurate information, we have things in chronological order, no red links, most of it is concise, and there are good images (and not too few or too many). Tevri (talk) 20:49, 29 April 2009 (UTC)
The discussion page was getting very bloated, especially with dead forum-like postings that had nothing to do with the article. I have archived the page. I'm sure that in the coming months there will be plenty new updates with King Varian Wrynn to discuss. Tevri (talk) 00:47, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
I updated the NPCBox a bit. "Lo'Gosh the Ghost Wolf" isn't really his title per say, it's an alias. It's mentioned a few times later in the article, so I removed it for now, but perhaps there's a way to add "Aliases" in the box? Or, the intro to the article could read: "Varian Wrynn, also known as Lo'Gosh the Ghost Wolf, is the son of the late...." I prefer a simple box-fix though. I also threw in his aggro (hostile to Horde, friendly to Alliance) -- I'm fairly certain all other racial leaders have that. And, I added a few of his known friends: Bolvar Fordragon (deceased), Valeera Sanguinar, Tirion Fordring, and Broll Bearmantle. Tevri (talk) 17:58, 26 April 2009 (UTC)
- In addition, I'd like to hear what else people think this article needs to lose that "cleanup" tag. Tevri (talk) 02:28, 29 April 2009 (UTC)
- I think the evidence shows that Highlord Bolvar is not dead, however, I don't think we can really get too much into that with this page. Where it says "deceased" next to Bolvar's name in npcbox, I'll link this section of the Bolvar article for people wanting to know more: http://www.wowwiki.com/Bolvar_Fordragon#Fate_of_Bolvar. We can update the article to say "Undead" if an when the time comes. Tevri (talk) 18:37, 29 April 2009 (UTC)
Varian is Right Edit
does anyone else wanna add the facts that were found in the Wowinsider Article "Varian is Right"? I already added the three people he has lost because of the Horde.--Maelstrong 21:39, 9 May 2009 (UTC)
- If you want to, you do it. They will be removed if they become too fan opinion based.-- 21:52, 9 May 2009 (UTC)
- All facts relevant to King Varian and his distaste for the Horde's faction are currently in the article (the orcs murdering of Llane Wrynn, the Forsaken and the Wrathgate, the Forsaken and Lordaeron, the orcs and Broken Front, the orcs and Warsong and so on and so forth). All the information in the opinion article is correct, but not needed - we don't need to restate what's already been said. Also, I think the sentence is a bit unnecessary. Tevri (talk) 00:31, 10 May 2009 (UTC)
It would be more convincing if an admin removed it.--Maelstrong 01:44, 10 May 2009 (UTC)
- I wasn't trying to convince anyone, I was simply stating my opinion -- and I think it's a correct one. It isn't really a note or a piece of trivia either; Llane's death is very early in the biography, Highlord Bolvar's is in the NPCBox...the information added again just seems superfluous to me. Tevri (talk) 04:03, 10 May 2009 (UTC)
- That article explains his mindset perfectly, to my mind. However, wowinsider isn't Blizzard, and psychoanalysis is not part of what we do here. Yes, Varian's opinions are rarely justified, and it's good to see someone actually explaining his mindset for once- as the audience, we have the gift of clarity: we know that Jaina and Rhonin are right and that people like Varian and Garrosh need to move on, and we often forget that in the world itself, things aren't that simple.
- Anyway, back to the actual topic. I don't think that we need a "trivia" note about how many people he's lost to the Horde, it's all elsewhere in the article. -- (talk · contr) 04:23, 10 May 2009 (UTC)
- I do disagree on the point of King Varian's distrust for the Horde; I don't think that 'moving on' is realistic after all that's happened. There is point when blind peace isn't the answer. The Horde (orcs and Forsaken specifically) have easily caused the deaths of more Alliance members than the Scourge and Yogg-Saron combined. It seems to work out that as far as the average Alliance person is concerned, they both are very dangerous, with leaders just as dangerous as the Lich King (i.e. Sylvanas, who wants to wipe out all life on Azeroth), not to mention the Horde actively occupying a human capital. Meh, but this isn't a forum. Bottom line, we shouldn't let the page devolve into an analysis of his beliefs. Well, there's the Admin if you really needed it Maelstrong. Tevri (talk) 06:23, 10 May 2009 (UTC)
- Honestly, that was completly out of line. You must be mistaking him for one of the Horde leaders like Sylvanas, who is actively trying to wipe out all life on Azeroth. (Confirmed by the new Arthas novel, not to mention every RPG about her, and in-game quests). Tevri (talk) 17:34, 27 May 2009 (UTC)
Varian's Brother? Edit
I may be wrong or it may have been talked about before but on wikipedia I found an interesting note about the Movie: "at Blizzcon 2007, on the panel with executives from Legendary Pictures, Chris Metzen also noted that Varian Wrynn, "Might have a brother"." Don't know what you'll make of this :) --Senoj (talk) 19:56, 19 July 2009 (UTC)
- Well, more or less, but the actual quote is different. When he was asked if the bad-ass human was the, that time unknown, same guy of the comic he answered this: "Nope, but they could be twins".
- So I would say that the wikipedia quote is wrong, that was just said to not spoil who the guy of the comic was (who resulted to be Varian) and don't give too much detail to the movie; but answering the question that they weren't the same guy. Benitoperezgaldos (talk) 20:10, 19 July 2009 (UTC)
- Oh I forgot, here is the source: . Benitoperezgaldos (talk) 20:11, 19 July 2009 (UTC)
Oh that is accurate, that was Metzen's quote, "he might have a twin."
The article is too puffed up! For example, almost every sentence made by Varian is eagerly copied into the 'Quotes' heading. Every picture available is shoved into the article, thinking that every fart must be accompanied by a screenshot. It makes the article less clarifying. I think it's too much. - Unireal 16:24, 17 September 2009 (CET)
- Trim the quotes section at your leisure, then. Demote most of the pics to a gallery, like the one at Sylvanas Windrunner.-- (talk · contr) 14:37, September 17, 2009 (UTC)
Incredibly confusing Edit
I can't help but notice that from the Revelations section to the end of the Corruption Ends section, the article is incredibly confusing. This is a bit of a plea for a rewrite - I'd do so myself, but I have no access to the material I'd need to do so. If someone does, making it a little more coherent would be helpful. Ellethwen (talk) 13:57, August 18, 2010 (UTC)
Last Name Pronunciation Edit
I've been wondering how you pronounce his last name. I've heard many different variations, include (Rinn) and (Rine). Now I have been calling him (Vare-ee-in Rine) since the beginning, but I'm just wondering if there is an official pronunciation for him. (talk · contr) 04:05, August 20, 2010 (UTC)
Duke Nukem voiced King Varian?? Edit
Just saw the interview where Jon St. John himself said so (and I love that they're FRIGGIN' FINALLY releaving DN Forever)...when was this? I thought that was all Metzen. --Joshmaul (talk) 04:23, September 29, 2010 (UTC)
Film Actors Edit Edit
Hi, I had one of my edits to Varian Wrynn changed. I put "Warcraft Movie Actors" then put the actor Mark Hildebrandt, and it was taken off. I got an e-mail that said what proof is there he is in the movie, meaning Mark Hildebrandt the actor or Varian Wrynn the character.
I won't post it if you don't want, but Ive been following the Warcraft film for awhile, and there is no doubt Mark Hildebrandt is either playing Varian Wrynn, the "bad ass warrior" I believe is how they describe him, or an original character that is the lead of the film that is the "kick ass warrior."
The reason being is he has been listed on IMDb as the lead of the Warcraft film, Varian Wrynn, for the better part of two years. Please see below, you might have to ace IMDb Pro. [ 
It's not like he was on IMDb then off, he has been listed for nearly two years. Also films that large in development or preproduction have the cast confirmed by the production office.
Also the guy that trained Christian Bale for Batman Begins, and a lot of other well known actors for stage com at put "Sword Trainer for Mark Hildebrandt playing Varian Wrynn of Warcraft. " This is somebody with Legendary Pictures all over there resume. I just looked it's "Robert Goodwin" of film fighting LA, and Hildebrandt is really being advertised. It has been on Robert Goodwin's website for a long time so he is being trained to look seriously good wield a sword.
Hildebrandt was also close to being the new "Mad Max," and is rumored to play Mark Antony against Angelina Jolie in Cleopatra. Point being he can act.
- Doing a quick google search will tell you that he has debunked the rumor that he is involved in the Warcraft Movie. --User:Gourra/Sig2 06:46, October 19, 2010 (UTC)
That is true, I have seen that, but actors are under gag orders. As you can see by the link/citations he is heavily advertised as Varian Wrynn by a stunt trainer. Mark Hildebrandt is heavily advertised as being trained by this swordmaster who has trained Christian Bale for Batman Begins, also a Legendary Pictures film.
- IMDB is probably the worst place you could go for citing in-production movie news. It's like Wikipedia - anyone can friggin' edit it. Take it with a grain of salt. --Joshmaul (talk) 11:18, October 19, 2010 (UTC)
- Okay, let me rephrase that: It's worse than Wikipedia - anyone can friggin' edit it without any evidence to support it. (Seeing how many different things people have put ME in. And yes, I'm on the IMDB for a very minor role in a documentary some years back. *grin*) --Joshmaul (talk) 19:22, October 19, 2010 (UTC)
I disagree completely, for major roles they go through production offices. Mark Hildebrandt has been on IMDb as Varian Wrynn for nearly two years. Legendary would allow that?
Is this Wiki for real? Anyone can put there picture next to a major motion picture for two years? Mark Hildebrandt  has been listed as Varian Wrynn for two years. He is still up as Varian to this day on IMDb and many other sites. Also, I put up this link many times. Why would the fight trainer of Christian Bale of Batman Begins ,Robert Goodwin a man contracted through Legendary Pictures, be advertising himself as the weapons trainer for Mark Hildebrandt playing Varian Wrynn in Warcraft? Is he just putting that up on his site as well even though he has done a lot of work for Warner Bros including Sherlock Holmes, and Hildebrandt as Lancelot in Excalibur as well Varian in Warcraft. He is a film industry person, is his site a wiki as well? Don't you think he has a reputation? This is a major source and it is does not just come down to IMDb. Also the people who think IMDb like wiki let's see you put yourself on.
This is a unreliable wiki that ignores facts. Not acknowledging that website is like saying Cataclysm is not coming out. Also Mark Hildebrandt is on hundreds of sites as Varian Wrynn. —This unsigned comment is by Derekd1996 (talk • contribs) 04:24, October 28, 2010. Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
- As an admin of WoWWiki, my only comment is: IMDb is not a credible source. Also, not all web links represent credible sources. Some well known blogs like WoW Insider and Blizzplanet are more reliable, but they can also make mistakes. However, they at least have some semblance of journalistic process. IMDb rarely gives citations for its info, only an official studio source should be relied upon for movie citations. -- (talk · contr) 17 May 2013 2:06 PM Pacific