The overall category tree is bothering me. I'm looking into reorganizing, starting with Mobs because it might be a little more manageable (and a little less presumptious of me) than starting with Category:Root. (An aside... Root is currently a subcategory of WoWWiki, which is a subcategory of Root, creating a circular categorization which drives me nuts.)
- The categories should be arranged in a hierarchical structure, with Category:Mobs at the top of the particular tree that I'm working on.
- Each category should contain subcategories that get more and more specific. Articles should be in the most specific category.
- They can be in more than one category, as long as one category is not the parent (or parent of parent etc) of another (i.e.: Category:Dwarves and Category:Innkeepers, but not Category:Dark Iron dwarves and Category:Dwarves)
- There should be no circular categorization as described above with Root.
Articles should be in the most specific categories that describe them.
- They may be in only one category (usually a location or object article)
- NPCs should be in at least two categories (location and race) but may be in many (different factions, multiple races, profession, etc)
- NPCs should be placed in a category for their profession when applicable. If the category is a subcat of their race, the article should only be in the profession category. The image, however, should go in the race category. (ie: Khan Jehn goes in Category:Khans but Image:KhanJehn.jpg goes in Category:Centaurs)
- If an NPC is a different type ingame than is normal for its race (ie: an undead arakkoa) the article should be in both categories (ie: Category:Undead and Category:Arakkoa
- If a race has several areas that are specific to them (ie: the Veils of the Arakkoa) there should be a category to contain those locations (ie: Category:Arakkoa territories)
- Articles should be placed in the tribe, clan, etc subcategory and not the main race category
Images should be in the categories that describe them.
- Location images should be in a location category (probably <zone> subzones) and also in any categories that describe the image (ex: temples, caves, wolves, etc)
- Creature images should be in the most specific category
- NPC images - not quite sure yet... may need a subcategory for images in Category:Humans for example
- NPC quest giver images should go in the race category, not the quest giver category
- Images for articles that are members of a tribe, clan, etc subcategory should be placed in that subcategory (I think this means the Dragonflight images need to be moved from their main categories to the flight categories)
Cleanup creature categories - Move all articles into the appropriate subcategory and categorize all images
- Category:Beasts - done
- Category:Critters - done
- Category:Demons - done
- Category:Dragonkin - done
- Category:Elementals - done
- Category:Giants - done
- Category:Humanoids - in the middle of furbolgs
To come back toEdit
- Category:Named mobs - huge category, but I don't see a way to make it smaller at the moment.
- Category:Tarantulas? Category:Spiders is a bit big
- Category:World of Warcraft fish items - this tree is a muddle of repetitive categories and probably doesn't belong in the creature tree, but in the items tree
- Category:Fish contains beast subcats, but articles in caught fish
- Category:Dragons - seperate by color? looks like someone started to with Category:Drakes
Per discussion with Baggins, the following is what was settled on:
- Category:Creatures - contains all creatures from the Warcraft universe
- Categories for various professions of the interactive NPCs
Faction category trees Edit
Category:Wyrmrest Accord - place images that represent the faction as a whole in the main category (tabards, locations, etc)
- Category:Wyrmrest Accord rewards
- Category:Wyrmrest Accord quests
- Category:Wyrmrest Accord NPCs - One image for each NPC should be placed in this category - choose the one that best represents the NPC as a member of the faction in game (ie: not concept art, but a screenshot in the game)
- I like how this has turned out and may start a project similar to WoWWiki:Zone category project when I'm done with the creature categories
- Move Category:Alliance and Category:Horde out of Category:Factions - they aren't factions that give reputation... put them in Organizations and Gameplay?
- Move Category:Factions - should remain in Organizations, but should not be part of WoW Geography... move to Gameplay? Or Reputation?
- Then we have Factions --> Alliance/Horde factions --> Darnassus, Ironforge, etc
Similar past projectsEdit
- Is there a way to keep the pictures within the corresponding text on Creature? Article looks a little sloppy with the images dangling long after the text. - check out Big cat (done right)
- Category:Amphibious - marked for deletion - lcontains several of the creature types. not even sure it's a proper category - WoW doesn't classify mobs as amphibious. and if we keep it, shouldn't it be named "Amphibians"? - may want to remove deletion vote, it's been moved to Lore so it's not a part of the WoW mobs tree
- Category:Turkeys - marked for deletion - empty - delete?
- Category:Creature types - marked for deletion - redundant
- add Fantasia reference to broom
- Utter confusion: Category:Voidwraiths Category:Mana surges Category:Arcane elementals - I think this needs to be cleared up with lore citations... the pages seem contradictory - Talk:Voidwraith - not touching this category until it's cleared up
- Category:Mud elementals, Category:Spark elementals and Category:Steam elementals - marked for deletion
- Category:Characters - where does that fit?
- Shouldn't Auchindoun be a category encompassing all of the winged instances located there?
- Category:Races - I think this category should only contain the main article for each race. It is a category of races, after all, not a category of races and all of their subcategories including territories, each named mob, etc. This way it will be an actual list of the known races in the Warcraft universe.