|World of Warcraft: The Dark Below|
|Release date(s)||Early or late 2016|
|Platforms||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X|
World of Warcraft: The Dark Below colloquially referred to as TDB, is the sixth expansion pack for World of Warcraft. Set primarily in a second reformed Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms on the world of Azeroth, the expansion follows the return of the Burning Legion led by the evil Dark titan Sargeras, who is taking residence in a place where he plans to unleash chaos.
Dark Below returns players to the two continents of Azeroth for most of their campaigning. It takes place a few years after the conquering of Deathwing and the southern continent of Pandaria, and introduces new zones such as Dark Below, Dragon Isles, and Zandalar.
From the official site:
Deep beneath Azeroth's surface, the entrance to the underground realm has been unlocked. It is called the Dark Below and is inhabited by demons, devils and infernal creatures led by the fallen titan Sargeras, the true creator of the Burning Legion. The Legion has not given up on terrorizing Azeroth.
The new area reveals itself as the Alliance and Horde are preparing to make another stand against the Legion. Will they succeed in defeating the Burning Legion and Sargeras?
- Level cap raised to 110
- Three new high-level zones from level 100-110:
- New class: Demon Hunter
- Four new playable races: Forest trolls (Horde), Furbolgs (Alliance), High elves (Alliance), and Ogres (Horde).
- More than 100 cinematics will be availiable in the expansion.
- A level 100 character upgrade—play immediately! Players will be able to instantly boost one character to level 100, which may be a pre-existing or a newly created character.
- No new PVP zones are available in the expansion.
- New Class-Race Combinations
Among the many figures confirmed to have major roles in the Dark Below story arc are:
- , also known as the The Fallen, is the main antagonist of the expansion. He will play a major role in questing and end-game content, and is expected to be the final boss of the expansion (in a later patch).
- is the son of Varian Wrynn and the future king of Stormwind. After his father's death, he now leads the Alliance against the Burning Legion and its allies.
- is the first non-orc to become the Horde's honorable Warchief. He continues to rebuild everything that Garrosh Hellscream committed after the war between the Alliance and Horde. He now leads the Horde against the Burning Legion and its allies.
- returns to the Dragon Isles and brings the Blue dragonflight into the Alliance.
- Rastakhan forms the Zandalari Empire and prepares to face against the Alliance and Horde that have united under Wrathion. He will play a major role in questing and end-game content, and is expected to be the first boss of the expansion.
- , the Black Prince, is the son of Deathwing and the last known Black Dragon to exist in the world of Azeroth. He will continue to unite the Alliance and Horde to save Azeroth from the Burning Legion.
- Vargastrasz becomes the new leader of the Red dragonflight and brings the faction into the Horde.
- returns in the expansion. After he and his family side with the Horde and become allies to the honorable Warchief, Chen will be involved in helping the Horde in several places in Kalimdor.
- Talgath, freed from the demonic corruption, becomes the new leader of the Draenei people after Velen was captured by the Burning Legion.
- Kel'Thuzad, the founder of the Cult of the Damned and principle agent of the Lich King, was thought to have been killed until it was revealed that he lived. He leads a small remnant of the Scourge to aid Rastakhan and the Zandalari Empire in the expansion.
- forms the True Forsaken and plans to use a deadly plague bomb which would eradicate all life in the Eastern Kingdoms.
Four new starting areas are available for the Forest trolls, Furbolgs, High elves, and Ogres:
- Barrow Forest: a level 1-12 starting area for the playable Furbolgs.
- Northeron: a level 1-12 starting area for the playable High elves.
- Maisara Hills: a level 1-12 starting area for the playable Forest trolls.
- Bladescar Highlands: a level 1-12 starting area for the playable Ogres.
Two new leveling zones are available for the expansion:
- Kul'Tiras: a level 12-20 human nation located on a large island, south-west of Lordaeron where it is ruled by the Proudmoore family. Its capital city is Boralus.
- Agamand Isles: a level 10-20 island which is located west near Tirisfal Glades. The island is set to be occupied by the Forsaken after Silverpine Forest was fully taken by Gilneas and the Alliance.
The expansion will introduce three new high-leveled zones:
- Zandalar: a level 100-103 island that lies south from the Maelstrom.
- Dragon Isles: a large group of three level 103-106 islands that lies between Kalimdor and Northrend.
- Dark Below: a large level 106-110 realm that lives deep beneath Azeroth.
Dungeon, raid and scenario contentEdit
Blizzard developers announced at BlizzCon 2015 that they intended for Dark Below to ship with new end-game content and cinematics.
Four additional dungeons from classic World of Warcraft, both low-level instances or former raids, have had level 100 heroic 5-man versions added with new content:
- The Deadmines in Westfall
- Shadowfang Keep in Silverpine Forest
- Zul'Gurub in Stranglethorn Vale
- Zul'Aman in Ghostlands
Dark Below will ship with three end-game raid dungeons and a PvP-unlocked raid dungeon, each with both 10 and 25-man settings. Once the final boss of each has been defeated, players can set each boss to heroic mode.
Factions and organizationsEdit
Numerous factions and organizations are introduced and are expected to play major roles throughout the expansion.
New racial factionsEdit
- Brownwood is the Furbolg racial faction.
- Quel'Dor is the High elf racial faction.
- Maulgruul is the Ogre racial faction.
- Zul'Daron is the Forest troll racial faction.
Alliance factions and organizationsEdit
- Aldor - an order of draenei priests that are led by Ishanah. They now side with the Alliance and are stationed in Azuremyst Isle in turning all corrupted Eredar into pure Draenei.
- Alterac Legion - a new organization that was formed by Isiden Perenolde and affiliates with the Alliance.
- Anvilrage - a large military of Dark Iron Dwarves that are part of the Alliance. The Anvilrage plans to reclaim Blackrock Mountain from the Burning Legion.
- Barkskin tribe - vast tribe of uncorrupted Furbolgs that now serve within the Alliance in Kalimdor. Led by Roth Barkskin, the Barkskin tribe is expected to aid the Alliance in conflicts that are happening in western continent.
- Blue dragonflight - a small organization that still remains in the world of Azeroth. Led by Kalecgos, the Blue dragonflight sides with the Alliance and plan to retake the Dragon Isles from the Burning Legion.
- Bowtotem tribe - a tribe of Tauren that were once members of the Grimtotem tribe. Led by Ton Windbow, the Bowtotem tribe affiliates with the Alliance and settle in the Eastern Kingdoms.
- Kirin Tor - an elite conclave of Mages that lead the nation of Dalaran. Jaina Proudmoore leads the organization to aid the Blue dragonflight in taking back the Dragon Isles from the Burning Legion.
- Maraudine clan - a clan of centaurs that occupy and maintain the temple of Maraudon. After the death of Aratas, the Maraudine clan was reorganized by Khan Zaeron, who leads his people to side with the Alliance.
- Northfall tribe - a large tribe of Wolvar that have united their tribes into one. After the effects of the cataclysm, the Northfall Wolvar were aided by the Alliance in finding a new home. Given sanctuary in Dun Morogh, the Northfall Wolvar become aligned with the Alliance.
- Northern Crusade - a vast High elven military that aligns with the Alliance.
- Obscurer tribe - a large tribe of lost Vrykul that refused to support the Scourge and remained hidden in the mountains. Destined to find a new home, the Obscurer tribe were given sanctuary by King Anduin Wrynn and joined the Alliance.
- Royal Tiras Navy - a new organized fleet that was formed to serve within the Alliance.
- Silver Covenant - a militant faction of high elves that serve within the Kirin Tor. Led by Vereesa Windrunner, the Silver Covenant helps the Kirin Tor and the Blue dragonflight in retaking the Dragon Isles from the Burning Legion.
- Stormwind Legion - a reorganized military that now serves within the Alliance. In the expansion, the Stormwind Legion travels to Zandalar to end the Zandalari threat.
- Winterskorn tribe - a tribe of vrykul that formerly lived in Skorn and Baleheim in Howling Fjord of Northrend. After leaving Northrend, the Winterskorn Vrykul were given sanctuary by the Dwarves of Ironforge and side with the noble Alliance.
Horde factions and organizationsEdit
- Bladescar clan - a vast clan of Ogres that have united their clans into one and sided with the Horde. The clan is named after the land that they settled in.
- Blightcaller Revolt - an open resistance that was formed by Nathanos Blightcaller, who stood against Sylvanas, and gathered many Forsaken to stand against her and the True Forsaken.
- Bloodsworn clan - a formed clan of Centaurs that have followed Dorthar and has becomes the first faction to join the Horde.
- Dragonflayer clan - a vrykul clan that was once under the control of the slumbering King Ymiron. Now, the clan has sided with the Horde.
- Magisters - are a group of blood elf mages and are one of three major factions in the government of Quel'Thalas. Led by Grand Magister Rommath, the Magisters travel to the Dragon Isles to battle minions from the Burning Legion.
- Mjordin - is a clan of Vrykul that were once aligned with the Scourge. After leaving Northrend, the Mjordin aligns itself with the Horde.
- Oracles - are a faction of several friendly gorloc tribes that once lived in Sholazar Basin. After the effects of the cataclysm, the Oracles side with the Horde while their Wolvar enemies side with the Alliance.
- Orgrimmar Legion - a reorganized military that serves within the Horde and its Warchief. In the expansion, the Orgrimmar Legion travels to Zandalar to end the Zandalari threat.
- Red dragonflight - a noble and honorable group of creatures that were once neutral. Now led by Vargastrasz, the Red dragonflight sides with the Horde and plan to retake the Dragon Isles from the Burning Legion.
- San'layn - a faction of darkfallen that served within the Scourge. It collapsed after the death the Lich King, but several Darkfallen were able to survive and became unemployed. Now led by Blood Lord Vorath, who was the one who reorganized the faction, the San'layn sides with the Horde.
- Scryers - a faction of blood elves led by Voren'thal the Seer. The Scryers now side with the Horde and are responsible for turning all the Felblood elves back into ordinary blood elves.
- Sen'jin tribe - a vast tribe of Jungle trolls that have united their tribes into one under the leadership of Warchief Vol'jin, who named it after his father.
- Treebash tribe - a vast tribe of Forest trolls that have united their tribes into one under the leadership of Chieftain Lexxia.
- Venture Company - is the most notorious goblin organization, deforesting and plundering the world for its natural resources. After Jastor Gallywix made peace with Mogul Razdunk, the Venture Company aligns itself with the Horde.
Neutral factions and organizationsEdit
- Burning Legion - the first main antagonist organization in the Dark Below. It is an a vast, innumerable army of demons, infernals, and corrupted races who seek to destroy any trace of order in the universe.
- Farraki tribe - a tribe of Sandfury trolls that have abandoned their service with the Zandalari and return to Tanaris.
- Forsaken Renegade Front - a small resistance that was formed by surviving Forsaken that were part of the True Forsaken. After Sylvanas' death, the Forsaken Renegade Front attends to takeover Western Darrowmere Forest for their own.
- Razorfen Legion - a vast organization of Quilboars that serve as allies to the Burning Legion. The Razorfen's main goal is to takeover Kalimdor and bring order for Sargeras' return.
- Sagepaw Legion - a vast organization of united Gnoll tribes that serve as allies to the Burning Legion. The Sagepaw's main goal is to takeover the Eastern Kingdoms and bring order for Sargeras' return.
- Thokar clan - a neutral clan of centaurs that united the Gelkis, Kolkar, and Magram into one. Now led by the Council of Khan, the Thokar clan must receive aid from the Alliance and Horde to battle the Burning Legion.
- Thorium Brotherhood - a group of dwarves who have split from the Dark Iron clan. The Brotherhood is expected to play a major role in the expansion where they battle minions of the Burning Legion.
- Zandalari Rebellion - is an open resistance that was formed to stand against Rastakhan and his newly formed Empire.
- Zandalari Empire - the second main antagonist organization in the Dark Below.