|World of Warcraft: Whispers of the Dark God|
|Platforms||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X|
Among the many figures confirmed to have major roles in the story of Whispers of the Dark God are:
- N'Zoth is the main antagonist of the expansion.
- Anduin Wrynn becomes the King of Stormwind and leads the Alliance during N'Zoth's return. He is willing to put great changes and search for answers in defeating the Old God.
- Varok Saurfang becomes the Horde's new Warchief. His plan is to restore everything that Garrosh had caused throughout the world and leads his forces to battle the Dark Troll Empire.
- Genn Greymane, King of Gilneas, continues to cure many Worgen, including Arugal's worgen, that remain in the world and add them into the Alliance as new recruits.
- Thrall, the former leader of the Horde and the world's strongest shaman, is now the leader of the Earthen Ring and continues his journey to search for answers in defeating N'Zoth and the Dark Troll Empire.
- Galen Trollbane becomes the leader of the Forsaken after the death of Sylvanas Windrunner.
- Queen Azshara returns for revenge in the expansion.
- Tandred Proudmoore makes his appearance as the King of Theramore's destruction. He plans to join forces with the Syndicate in order to battle the Horde and other enemies.
- Barrow Forest - Level 1-10 starting zone for Furbolgs
- Bladescar Highlands - Level 1-10 starting zone for Ogres.
- Maisara Hills - Level 1-10 starting zone for Forest trolls.
- Northeron - Level 1-10 starting zone for High elves.
High-leveled zones (Level 90-95)
- Broken Highlands - Level 90-91
- Dragon Isles - Level 91-92
- Zandalar - Level 92-93
- Nazjatar - Level 93-94
- Darklands - Level 94-95
Factions and organizations
- Alliance Twilight Hammer - a cult of former races from the Twilight's Hammer that will join the Alliance.
- Defias Brotherhood - a criminal organization of assassins, thieves, and pirates that were hostile in the Eastern Kingdoms. The whole organization will join the Alliance after King Anduin Wrynn made special changes for them and the people of Westfall. Goblins, Ogres, and Tauren that were part of this organization, join the Horde.
- Scarlet Crusade - a religious organization dedicated to the eradication of the undead. Led by Galvar Pureblood, the Scarlet Crusade joins the Alliance in their war against the Horde.
- Syndicate - a human criminal organization which originates from Arathi Highlands and the Alterac Mountains. Led by Isiden Perenolde, all members from the Syndicate will join the Alliance in their battle against the Horde.
- Tushui Brewmasters - a faction of Pandaren Brewmasters that have joined the Alliance. They will be seen in many different areas in the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor.
- Amani tribe - a organizational remnant of Forest trolls from the once great Amani Empire. After the Dark trolls have taken power over Zul'Aman, the Amani trolls will join the Horde along with other Forest troll tribes.
- Horde Twilight Hammer - a cult of former races from the Twilight's Hammer that will join the Horde.
- Huojin Brewmasters - a faction of Pandaren Brewmasters that have joined the Horde. They will be seen in many different areas in the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor.
- Mossflayer tribe - a tribe of Forest trolls that have remained separate from the Amani Empire after the Troll Wars. After Zul'Mashar was taken from the Dark trolls, the Mossflayer tribe have joined the Horde to reclaim their home with the assistance of the Forsaken.
- Scarlet Forsaken - a factional organization of remaining Forsaken from Tyr's Hand that have joined the Horde.
- Vilebranch tribe - a tribe of Forest trolls that have remained separate from the Amani Empire after the Troll Wars.