|This article or section needs to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.|
|Racial capital||Icecrown Citadel (Scourge)|
|Racial leader(s)||The Lich King (Scourge) |
Sylvanas Windrunner (Forsaken)
Val'kyr are a type of undead Vrykul, and seem to be a recent addition to the armies of the Scourge. They act as the Lich King's agents in the spirit world, being described by Thoralius the Wise as being "fearsome creatures made of pure nightmare" that "now stand watch over the realm of the elements".
Val'kyr are created from the female vrykul dwellers of Valkyrion who accept the Lich King's "gift". Valkyrion Aspirants can be found at Valkyrion as well as Nascent Val'kyr. At least one example exists of a female vrykul being turned into a val'kyr at another location as well. Val'kyr serve as judges for vrykul combatants and decide which become vargul or ymirjar, and also judge slain vrykul.
Val'kyr Battle-maidens watch over fresh death knights in Acherus: The Ebon Hold alongside the Lich King. When death knights die in the instanced area of the Scarlet Enclave, they will come and resurrect the slain.
CataclysmThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
After the death of the Lich King, many val'kyr became "unemployed", and have been conscripted into the Forsaken ranks. In order to bolster the Forsaken's numbers, Sylvanas Windrunner has put them to work in resurrecting their dead enemies into their service, as explained to Warchief Garrosh Hellscream during a meeting in Silverpine Forest:
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Where is that Ogre-headed buffoon?
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Ah, speak of the devil...
- Portals from Orgrimmar arrive with Hellscream, Hellscream's elite, and High Warlord Cromush.
- Hellscream jumps from the portal down to Sylvanas.
- Garrosh Hellscream says: This better be important, Sylvanas. You know how I detest this place and its foul stench. Why have you called for me?
- Garrosh Hellscream says: And more importantly, what are those Scourge fiends doing here?
- Garrosh makes a gesture at the Val'kyr.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Warchief, so glad you could make it.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: With the death of the Lich King, many of the more intelligent Scourge became...unemployed. Those 'fiends,' as you so delicately put it, are called val'kyr. They are under my command now...
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: ...and they are part of the reason that I asked to see you.
- Garrosh Hellscream says: Get on with it, Sylvanas.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Very well, Warchief. I have solved the plight of the Forsaken!
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: As a race, we Forsaken are unable to procreate.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: With the aid of the val'kyr, we are now able to take the corpses of the fallen and create new Forsaken.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Agatha, show the Warchief!
- The Val'kyr Agatha proceeds to resurrect fallen corpses as Forsaken.
- High Warlord Cromush says: ABERRATION!
- Garrosh Hellscream says: What you have done here, Sylvanas...it goes against the laws of nature. Disgusting is the only word I have to describe it.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Warchief, without these new Forsaken my people would die out...Our hold upon Gilneas and northern Lordaeron would crumble.
- Garrosh Hellscream says: Have you given any thought to what this means, Sylvanas?
- Garrosh Hellscream says: What difference is there between you and the Lich King now?
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Isn't it obvious, Warchief? I serve the Horde.
- Sylvanas mockingly salutes Garrosh.
- Garrosh Hellscream says: Watch your clever mouth, bitch.
- Garrosh Hellscream says: Cromush, you stay behind and make sure the Banshee Queen is well "guarded." I will be expecting a full report when next we meet.
- High Warlord Cromush says: As you command, Warchief!
- Garrosh Hellscream says: Remember, Sylvanas; eventually, we all have to stand before our maker and face judgment. Your day may come sooner than others...
"Val'kyr" is an obvious reference to the Valkyries of Norse myth — minor female deities in the service of Odin. Their duty was to choose the most heroic spirits of slain warriors and take them to Valhalla, where they would serve at Odin's side in the Ragnarök.