|World of Warcraft|
WoW box art
|Release date(s)||NA - 23 November 2004|
EU - 11 February 2005
|Version||Patch 1.1.0 - Patch 1.12.2|
|Expansions|| The Burning Crusade|
Wrath of the Lich King
Mists of Pandaria
|Platforms||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, (Linux via Wine or Cedega)|
World of Warcraft, often referred to as WoW, is a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORPG) set in the Warcraft universe. It is developed by Blizzard Entertainment and contains 4 expansion packs: World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, and World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria. The initial release is now sometimes known as "vanilla WoW" or "classic WoW".
As of 2010, World of Warcraft has more than 12 million monthly subscribers, and currently holds the Guinness World Record for the world's largest and most popular MMORPG. It also continues its further story development throughout its franchising, other than online media, such as Warcraft novels, comics, manga, RPG books, TCG, and board games.
Note the following are the pre-expansion details:
- Uses and expands the storyline from the Warcraft series of games.
- Customizable characters:
- 2 factions: Horde and Alliance.
- 8 initial races: Human, Dwarf, Gnome, Night Elf, Orc, Troll, Undead, Tauren; added Blood Elf / Draenei, Goblin / Worgen, and Pandaren.
- 9 initial classes: Mage, Warlock, Priest, Rogue, Druid, Hunter, Shaman, Warrior, Paladin; added Death Knight (Hero Class), and Monk.
- 9 initial professions, enabling resource gathering and item crafting; added Jewelcrafting and Inscription.
- The Talents and Glyphs system allows further customization of the character's skills and stats.
- General System
- A casual-friendly character progression system up to a point.
- In-game trading, mail service and auction system.
- Four server types: Normal (PvE), RP, PvP, and RPPvP.
- Quest and Honor Systems
- A PvP Honor system, 3 initial Battlegrounds; added 1 , 2 and 2
- A variety of World Events including:
- Dozens of Instanced Dungeons, ranging from Blackfathom Deeps to Zul'Farrak with dozens more added in content patches and expansions.
- User Interface and Customer Support
- Customize AddOn and Interface with some game commands support.
- Client seamlessly supports both Apple Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows operating systems. Linux users can play via Wine (MS Windows emulation), however this is not supported and can be buggy at times.
- Oceania (English - Australia, Hawaii, New Zealand)
- North America (English - US & Canada)
- Europe (English-UK, French, German, Spanish, Russian)
- South Korea
- China (Simplified and Traditional Chinese; including Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau)
- Latin America (Spanish, English?)
|World of Warcraft Opening Cinematic(02:50)|
|Escape F Mount Stupid: World of Warcraft|
|Escape From Mount Stupid - World of Warcraft(10:11)|
|An overview of World of Warcraft through late Cataclysm.|
The original WoW is sometimes referred to as "vanilla World of Warcraft," "pre Burning Crusade (Pre BC)," or "classic World of Warcraft".
- ^ 'World of Warcraft' hits 12 million subscribers By Brett Molina, USA TODAY Oct 07, 2010 12:06 PM
- ^ Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition - Records - PC Gaming. Retrieved on 2009-10-17.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment® to Release World of Warcraft® in Latin America
- ^ Danny O'Dwyer 2012-04-16. Escape From Mount Stupid: World of Warcraft. GameSpot.
- Loading screen
- A listing of World of Warcraft-related sites.
- Timeline (World of Warcraft) for a timeline of game milestones since its announcement.
- World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria (NYI)
- World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
- World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
- World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
- World of Warcraft Battle Chest
- World of Warcraft Mac OS X Icons
- Related info
- Old news