|Ingredients • Proficiencies • Quests • Recipes • Trainers|
|Requirements||Level 5, Jewelcrafting (20)|
Prospecting is a Jewelcrafting ability which allows gathering of gems from raw ore, which is obtained via the Mining skill. Five ore of the same type are consumed per prospecting attempt and produce 0-3 gems, with the most common result being a single gem prospected. The gems acquired are of types which could be found mining a mineral node of the type of ore consumed. For example, prospecting can produce and , which would normally be found on an iron node. Each prospect also produces 1 powder of the appropriate metal, for example prospecting gives you .
Requires: Level 5, Jewelcrafting (20)
Prospecting, like disenchanting, can be boiled down to a fairly simple set of rules. When ore is prospected the results fall into three probabilities:
- Powder - Every prospect will yield this junk item. It's vendor trash, sell it off.
- Common gems - Each ore has a set of gems that result from the majority of attempts. Every gem in an ore's common results has the same probability of being found.
- Uncommon gems - Each ore has a set of rare result gems. Like the common gems, each gem in this group share the same probability of being found in the target ore.
Only common ores can be prospected, except and quest ores that are not used in crafting.
- All the percentages in this table were derived from data at Wowhead
- More than one gem can be found on each prospect, so these numbers don't add up to 100%!
Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Prospecting now always yields at least 1 gem.